Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite 8000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I can't get my Elite 8000 to recognize my Nvidia video card. I don't know the exact model # of the card, but it is fairly old with a passive heat sync and 512mb of Ram.I've tested the card in another machine, I know it works. Device manager won't see it, driver installation fails, and when hooked up to my monitor, the monitor stays in standby mode, with the light amber not green.

System spec: 

W10 Pro x64

8gb ram

3.0ghz Core 2 Duo CPU

SN: [edit]

Any help would be appreciated. I saw several articles about it, but they all say to turn off "Secure Boot" and that option does not exist in my BIOS. I have updated my BIOS to the latest version.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Some graphics cards won't work in some PC's, even if they work in others.

What I suggest you do if you have not done so already...prior to installing the video card, go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Right click on the Intel graphics adapter listed, there, and select Uninstall.

Also check the Uninstall Driver box.

Do not restart the PC as prompted.   Shut down, unplug the PC and install the video card.

Then see if it works that way.

If not, then there is no way that I know of where you will get it to work.

When you don't uninstall the current graphics drivers prior to installing a new video card, it sometimes creates a major conflict with the old adapter and the new one--even though the onboard graphics is automatically disabled when you install a graphics card.

And yes, the 8000 Elite PC model series have legacy BIOS,' and didn't come with W8 from the factory, so there wouldn't be a Secure Boot option in there.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply but I did try that already. Plus, I would think the monitor light should turn green and the screen should show the POST before it gets far enough to load a driver, right? Thanks again. I'm kinda reluctant to buy another one as I don't know if it's a problem with my PCI Express slots or what. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you're right, you would have gotten to the HP welcome screen at least.

Did you install the card in the black PCI e x16 slot?

The white slot that looks exactly like the black one is not a PCIe x16 slot, but an x4 slot which is used for the crossfire-type video cards that work in conjunction with the primary video card.

My go-to test card is a cheap Dell Radeon HD 2400.  I get them on eBay for less than $10 bucks.

It will definitely work in the 8000 Elite.

Maybe you willl want to try one out...

Get one with the right size mounting bracket, and get one with a DVI port.

Some of them have DMS-59 ports which need a splitter video cable.

This one for example would fit the CMT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Radeon-Graphics-Card-P-N-ATI-102-B17002-102B1701300-HD2400-Pro-256mb-dd...

...and this one the SFF...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Dell-ATI-Radeon-HD-2400-Pro-256MB-Low-Profile-Video-CardPCI-Express...

I have the AMD Radeon HD 6570 in my 8000 Elite CMT, E8400, 16 GB of memory, a 240 GB Sandisk SSD and W10 Pro

HP Recommended

Good suggestion. I don't remember which slot I put it in. I even looked up which one was which, with no luck so that's valuable info. The card you suggested is very inexpensive, which is right up my alley. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

You'll find that little tidbit of info in the Hardware Reference Guide in the User Guides section of the support page.

Chapter 2, page 20 has the motherboard diagram with the PCIe slot descriptions.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01957974

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.