Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elite Slice
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased HP Elite Slice without M.2 SSD ... I have purchased compatible 256GB M.2 SSD ... BIOS wont see it, updated BIOS to NV 2.05 M.2 SSD has the check mark in BIOS Storage option but UEFI or Legacy it wont see it.  How can I make it bootable and install Windows 10 OS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ballistic0_0 wrote:

Hello Erico ... thanks for the advice ... my Slice P/N is Z2A23UT .... but if the BIOS and OS dont detect the M.2 how can I use Diskpart to setup the partition ... or do I have to set it up elsewhere on a different environment.  Wouldn't/Shouldn't the BIOS detect it either way. I have booted Paragon Disk Manager 15 and other after figuring out booting Legacy .. in full UEFI they wont boot but these utilities still wont see the M.2.  I have the Zbook 15 G3 the Micron PCIe NVME came out of and I just install from disc (win10).  So how can I use the G3 to prep the NVME M.2 to confirm it will work in my Slice so I can go out and get the corect compatible M.2.  Thnaks in advance

If you install the Micron M.2 PCIe NVME in the slice and boot to Windows10 on the 2.5" SATA disk that is already there, you can go to a command line and use Diskpart.

The list disk and list volume commands will let you know if the Micron M.2 PCIe NVME  is seen by the OS.

You will need to create a GPT volume and format it. Once you do that you will be able to install Windows 10 to the SSD.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi ballisticO_O

Not familiar with this sytem.

The following disclaimer is included in the Storage section describing options available at purchase:

*Hard drives and solid state drives are optional, and M.2 drive must be configured at purchase. For hard drives and solid state drives, GB = 1 billion bytes. TB = 1 trillion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 36 GB (for Windows 10) of system disk is reserved for the system recovery software.

M.2 motherboard interface architecture has various options. Is the open pin on the left or right side of the M.2 slot?

What type M.2 SSD did you purchase?

Contact HP Support on this. If the option to use the drive is not available in the BIOS then you may not be able to use the drive as a bootable option. Have you checked HP support for a BIOS update to enable M.2 support?

I can only guess, based on the disclaimer above, HP would enable this option if an M.2 drive was specified at purchase.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding Grzwacs ... I have updated the BIOS to the lates and prior it showed the option in Storage for M.2 as shown in the pictures below.  I piurchased what I believe to be a compatible M.2 as it specifies it can handle a 256GB Sata or PCIe M.2.  I purchased a Sandisk SSD X400 M.2 2280 SATA III but I have also tried a Micron 512GB PCIe NVME M.2 2280 and they just dont show up in the BIOS Boot order or otherwise, and also not in hte OS. Right now its boot from the pre-configured 500GB 7200rpm HDD ... and i have updated Bios, IME and Rapid Storage drivers.  I have also seen the disclaimer about the M.2 configurations had to be configured at purchase .. but what other product doesnt say that and its esay to upgrade later.  Unless theres some magic switch I havent found I dont see how I can upgrade to the M.2 SSD.  Anybody  get past this hurdle. 

20170516_062254 (Large).jpg20170516_062332 (Large).jpg20170516_062343 (Large).jpg20170516_062356 (Large).jpg20170516_062318 (Large).jpg

HP Recommended

What is the complete product number or product name?

HP Elite Slice is a bit too generic. It only identifies the model series it comes from.

update!

The HP Slice accepts 1 M.2 2230 PCIe adapter module for WLAN. 1 M.2 2280 PCIe for NVMe SSD

So what you need is a PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD and it has to be 2280 in size.

The Micron 512GB PCIe NVME M.2 2280 should work, but you have to prep it first in DiskPart to make it a GPT Volume.

Once that is done, at least one partition created and formatted as NTFS, it should be recognized as present.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello Erico ... thanks for the advice ... my Slice P/N is Z2A23UT .... but if the BIOS and OS dont detect the M.2 how can I use Diskpart to setup the partition ... or do I have to set it up elsewhere on a different environment.  Wouldn't/Shouldn't the BIOS detect it either way. I have booted Paragon Disk Manager 15 and other after figuring out booting Legacy .. in full UEFI they wont boot but these utilities still wont see the M.2.  I have the Zbook 15 G3 the Micron PCIe NVME came out of and I just install from disc (win10).  So how can I use the G3 to prep the NVME M.2 to confirm it will work in my Slice so I can go out and get the corect compatible M.2.  Thnaks in advance

HP Recommended

@ballistic0_0 wrote:

If you install the Micron M.2 PCIe NVME in the slice and boot to Windows10 on the 2.5" SATA disk that is already there, you can go to a command line and use Diskpart.

The list disk and list volume commands will let you know if the Micron M.2 PCIe NVME  is seen by the OS.

You will need to create a GPT volume and format it. Once you do that you will be able to install Windows 10 to the SSD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.