Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 34 A051
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've a 2016 my Envy 34 A051 and the 128gb m.2 SSD is running out of space as my OS/boot drive. All my other software (aside from win 10 nd a couple of core accounting programs) are on a 256gb Samsung 850 evo sata drive that I swapped the mechanical drive out for when the pc was new.

I spent a while seeking out the m-slot m.2 drive to buy but looking at the details of the factory original Samsung XP941 pcie 2.0 x4 drive, I'm unsure if the skydive 2GS mobo will work with an nvme pcie 3.0 x4 drive.

Any ideas if an nvme drive will work? as I cant find any available m slot pcie 2.0 ssd's 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

HP is not showing M.2 specs for your motherboard (Link).  

The Samsung XP941 is a PCIe 2.0 x4 drive (Link).

A PCIe 3.0x4 drive should work but may  be limited to PCIe 2.0 x4 speed or less. This depends on the number of lanes HP has provided to the M.2 socket.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for this input. 
Reading suggests that t would work but throttles to pcie 2.0 as you also suggest. Other concerns are that it may not boot from an nmve drive if the skydive mobo doesn't support nvme?
I'm still on the original bios, but some comments on this forum suggest there's a very real risk of bricking the machine with bios updates so makes me nervous...

HP Recommended

Hi Juanny,

You're very welcome.

Since the Samsung XP941 is a PCIe 2.0 x4 drive this would suggest your motherboard supports this protocol.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.