Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix 860-019
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I currently have the HP Envy Phoenix 860-019 (currently the factory model from https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04799759 with an additional Samsung EVO 500GB SSD instead of the base 128GB one):

Intel Core i7-6700

16GB Ram / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (2GB) GPU

I was wondering what some of the better upgrades I could make GPU-wise for this desktop. I saw that some of the upgrades would require a better PSU, but I was wondering how well I could upgrade it without replacing the Power Supply. If it's better for me to replace it, I'd like some suggestions on a Power Supply as well. But above a certain price point (maybe like $800-900 CAD) I would rather just replace the PC entirely.

I plan to use this PC for gaming and for VR. Preferably I want something economical as I plan for this to be transitionary (for 1-2 years) until prices stabilize and the next-generation of cards are released.

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Arcboom Here are a few important things you need to know when upgrading the graphics card of your choice:

CAUTION: 

A power supply upgrade may be required for graphics card upgrade, check with graphics card supplier. You may also find power requirements information in the system requirements for the new video card.

Before you begin

• Many HP and Compaq PCs do not have an AGP or PCI Express (PCI-E) slot on the motherboard. Visually inspect the motherboard or refer to the product specifications for your model before attempting to install an AGP or PCIe video card.

• If you plan on upgrading a PCI-E graphics card, a power supply upgrade may be required for graphics card upgrade, check with graphics card supplier.

• Find out if your HP or Compaq PC has integrated video on the motherboard. When performing the steps in this article, onboard video will need to be disabled in the BIOS to avoid installation issues on some models.

• You will need a screwdriver.

• HP strongly recommends using an anti-static wrist strap and a conductive foam pad.

• Find a clear, flat, stable work surface over a floor that is not carpeted.

• If possible, print this document. You can refer to the printout after the PC is restarted or when an Internet connection is not available.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

That said, I'm afraid there's no specific article with the details you need as HP does not support nor recommend upgrading your device, if you wish to proceed anyway, you may at your own discretion.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.