Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Gaming 690-XXX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC shipped with a second HDD in addition to the M.2 SSD. I want to add additional storage in the form of a WD 14Tb HDD.

Will the OS and BIOS accept that large a drive?

I tried to get an answer from HP tech support but was unable to contact a live person,

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It will work with the 14TB no problem, I've used 16TB drives in the 690!

Be warned: most 14TB drives (WD Red, etc.) are SMR (archival) drives and might suffer massive performance loss depending on your intended workload! If SMR won't work for your application you'd have to look at CMR drives such as the WD RED Pro drives (so loud they'll vibrate the screws right out of your case!) or WD Gold drives (quiet but have an automatic sleep/spin down that can't be disabled without running software on your computer called "hdd never sleep" that constantly read/writes to the drive)!

Good luck with your upgrade!

-Jamie M.

HP Recommended

Hello
Be careful, we can not say anything without knowing the exact model of the computer !!
It may work with one model and not the other, motherboards may be different
the series is very extensive!

Capture d’écran 2020-09-25 175046.png

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-690-0000i/19769765/product-info

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-690-0000a/37730935/product-info

just like one hard drive model might work and the other
If you need a lot of disk space, use different smaller media instead.
If your disk fails you risk losing all your data !!

but it's up to you

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.