Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 30L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

"Does anyone know how to disable the FN combo keypress requirement for standard F1 thru F12 functionality? HP support tells me it cannot be done on the HP Omen. I'm stuck having to press FN + F1 thru F12 which is crazy. Normally this option is available in BIOS or using FN + Left Shift or FN + Esc or I've even seen FN + CTRL + Left Shift. None of this worked for me! I'm blown away that HP is selling gaming desktops without the ability to remove the FN lock! The specific keyboard I have is an HP wired that came packaged with the HP Omen desktop. It does not have any LED indication of FN lock or not which may be confirmation that this keyboard (and/or?) PC does not let you remove FN lock! Thanks for any help or input." Post done by another user, this is the most stupid choice I seen in a high-end computer, where is a need to frustrate the user, I end up using the keyboard for my previous lower tear hp computer. HP, update the bios so can be changed, where is the point of frustrating costumer that have purchased a high-end product.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello
I tend to agree, but on the other hand, that's not what would bother me the most, it's the keyboard itself, in any case, the last one I saw was rather very simple !
unfortunately the solutions you have mostly work with laptops.
This question comes up very often, and no quick fix
Either test key reconfiguration software, this does not always work according to the feedback!
Either and especially for a gamer pc buy a real keyboard that does not have this problem

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Ok but is a bad design , or bad configuration, i have use hp for a long time, and never encounter, this, You are selling a gaming pc, most of games work with f keys for actions and more of 3d creative software too. What happens is you start working or playing and suddenly it doesn't work, one time you realize your keys are function keys by default you loss time pressing keys, later so go on forum, later you check you bios to find out there is not option, last things you do is buy a keyboard and use a old one, And now is my question who on earth thing making this happen to the user is a good experience, and why I should have lost 1 or 2 hours of my new experience like this, If you are selling a gaming computer be sure the free keyboard does what you expect, and if it doesn't put a big disclaimer on it, so people will have the new keyboard ready , after waiting for a month to get the computer deliver is not the best thing to make you user to go trough this pain. Solution mention it to the user, and change the bios so it can be corrected properly , or give them a keyboard like the one I have on my hp envy that doesn't have that issue.

HP Recommended

I don't know if it's because of the translation.
that lets me think you're talking directly to HP?
However, it is not, and those who take care of what is functional, done like this or like that, are not here.
Sometimes we can make sure that some information, request, is redirected to the right people, but we can not even know if it has an impact.

I am simply telling you what we know, what can or cannot be done!
But I say it again, I find it a shame to have some keyboards with the computer now, whereas before, it was quite different, but it must be a matter of cost, they install what is necessary in the computer nor more no less!
I saw that some towers are sold now, without any accessories, it might be better!

Contact HP

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, sorry Promethee if it sounds like I tough you where hp support, my message is directed to hp support, and i have seen them reply on some threads, Thanks a lot for the contact option, what i tried right now it uses the virtual assistant and what i get is the explanation for the notebooks that you can change the bios. Apreciated your comments,

HP Recommended

No worries, it's common ..
As I said, there are unfortunately to my knowledge only two possible options at the moment

I'm sorry for your problem, I fully understand ..
To be honest, I got a keyboard with a computer, I didn't even bother to try it, it was so disappointing, but I didn't buy the computer for it, I had planned to buy a mouse keyboard kit, wireless, I don't like wires

😂

best wishes

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thanks Promethee, I wanted to thank you for your help.

I wrote to the link you provided, that I couldn't find myself,

I did explain the situation and why is frustrating to deal with the issue when you just purchase a new computer, and you should be enjoying the product,

an executive did reach out and they will provide a new keyboard and are looking into changing the one provided normally with the omen desktop.

appreciated you help.

HP Recommended

You're welcome @luissjp2 
please mark the solution if it suits you in this case

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.