Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-130vx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I have had my HP Omen 870-130vx for about 4 years. I went to turn it on the other day and smelled smoke so I immediately unplugged it. I removed the side panel, plugged it back in, and turned it on - and the video card (a GTX1080 - part number 909247-001) caught on fire. I quickly unplugged it again and it doesn't look like anything else was damaged.

A friend gave me his old video card to see if the machine would work (a GTX550ti) and it does not. The computer powers on, the fan on the card kicks on, but I get no video output and beeping from the motherboard. 3 low beeps followed by 3 high beeps - which repeat about 5 times. I don't think the computer will recognize this card.

What are my options? Do I have to find a replacement HP GTX1080 of the same part number (909247-001) or will other newer cards be compatible? The timing couldn't be worse with the GPU market going crazy, so I'd ideally want some level of confidence that a new card will work before I throw money at it.

Thanks!

YK85

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@YK85 , welcome to the Community.

The first thing that I recommend is connecting your monitor to the Integrated Video on the motherboard.  This will allow you to use your computer.  I believe the problem could be the PCI Express x16 slot on the motherboard causing the problem.  This has to be determined before buying another video card.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick help! I didn't know that was even an option.

So - I now have the PC hooked up to the monitor, but as soon as I turn it on - I get a "Boot Device Not Found" screen.

It says to please install an operating system on your hard disk - Hard disk (3F0)

I might be in over my head at this point, but does this sound like there's more damage than just the video card itself?

I figured I'd at least start by doing the 1hr+ long memory check that was an option in system diagnostics.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @YK85!

The error message that you are receiving is normally caused by a failed hard drive.  Here is the results of the test:

Capture.PNG

This could be a symptom of a more serious problem caused by the video card or PCIe slot.  At this point, I believe it would be best to take it to a computer shop.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.