Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen X
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just purchased an Omen X chassis.

It is just the case without any hardware.

I installed all my old hardware (Intel DP55WB motherboard, ram, cpu, gpu, PSU, ssd ....)

I can boot and use my computer with no problem except one.

The front panel led (the 4 squares won’t light up)

The front logo lights up and I can control the colors with the omen control app.

Inside the case I find a 10 pin connector (9 pin and a hollow one) that is labeled front light. I assume that this is the connector that will light up the four squares.

It is the same as a USB header that you connect In the motherboard except the empty pin is not at the same place than a USB header.

I have nowhere to plug it on my motherboard.

I am wondering if I am missing something.

Where do I connect this cable in order to have the 4 squares to light up. Do i need an adapter?

If yes i only find 4 pins adapter for the rgb fans and nothing with the 10 pins.

There is nothing in the manual.

If someone can help me with that.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

i don't think you can do anything as each OEM uses a custom circuit/software to controll lighting while some standards are begining to form IE- a oem board maker will now use the same circuit/software across all their boards

as a example there is no way to currently get Asus lighting software to work on MSI boards and vice versa

however,.......it should be possible to use a SBC like a rasberry Pi and drive the lights in your case

find a local computer or hardware hacker  group in your area and ask them

or use this product, all you have to do is determine the pinout of your case's led's or  remove their circuit and drive the case led's directly using this controller from cooler master

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cooling-rgb-accessories/rgb-led-controller/

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.

I think I will have to buy a rgb adapter.

But I still have two questions.

How am I able to control the front panel rgb logo? I mean I can control it via HP omen control center even if my motherboard has no rgb header. It is detected and I can change the color. 

This is case has a board inside that need power and then distributed the front I/O, the front logo and various features.

If I can control the rgb logo why can’t I control the front panel led the same way?

This is a 600 USD case and the manual is empty. Nothing about how to plug the various cable.

Can you guys at HP send me a wiring cable diagram like every other case on the market?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

please understand, this is a user to user forum (I and most others on this site do not work for HP)

while hp reps do monitor the forums, they do not do so on a 24/7 basis

and since you are using the case with a board that was not approved for that case, i doubt hp can or will do anything as it's a custom setup that they do not sell or support.

since i do not have this case i can not comment on why the logo works other than to speculate it might be connected via usb?

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.

I understand that this is a user forum.

Ccompanies now don’t care about support. They make user answer and find solutions for them. Look at the Windows support forum and you will see that.

Anyway. I understand that my motherboard is not the HP omen motherboard but nonetheless their must be a way to have the lightning to turn on. 

I cannot believe that they sell a case at that price with half the features if you don’t buy it prebuilt.

HP Recommended

look, companies do care and do support their products,  hp makes thousands and thousands of diffrent products and it supports every product it sells..... asking hp to support their products in a non HP setup/use is impossible for HP or any other large company to attempt (and you should know this without being told)

you (not HP) decided to buy the HP case and attempt to use a non HP motherboard with it. As such it is up to you (not HP) to resolve any things which appear, stop blaming HP for your decisions.

it's up to you to figure out how to impliment the features you want, HP does not sell or market this case as a universal generic case so i have little tolerence with you trying to blame other people/company's for you actions.

of corse there is a way to turn on the lighting, either find someone with the skills to do so or learn how to do it yourself.

most likely neither of the above two are cost or time efective to you, but that's how life is,... i have done many projects in my lifetime, and for some of them i had to pay someone to do it for me or i had to spend the time to learn how to do it myself.

HP Recommended

Look I am not here to argue with you.

I appreciate you trying to help me, that is very kind of you.

I bought the case and I just want to put my hardware inside. That makes sense no? When you buy an EVGA case you can put whatever you want inside no? When you buy an Asus case you can put whatever you want inside no?

I am just trying to install my hardware in a case. Why would HP sell a case if you can only use their hardware and at the same time sell the case as a prebuilt with their hardware. 

This case is made to work with any hardware you put inside. It is just a case. An expensive one but just a case.

Everything works fine but I can’t figure out how and where to plug the front panel led.

I am not blaming HP for my decision but when you spend that kind of money on a product the minimum you can expect is some support or at least a clear manual no?

And just to say you having little tolerance for me by blaming HP, the case won’t even come with a manual inside!

And when finally you find it online there is no to little information about the per-wired cable inside and trust me there is a lot (like 15!)

This is like the 20th computer that I am building and I never encounter any problem except for that case.

Thank you for your time and answers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.