Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-b022a AIO
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I'm wanting to upgrade the CPU in my PC from the dual core AMD A4-5300 it came with to a quad core.

I've looked at the upgrade info on the specs sheet for this model and it tells me that it can be upgraded to a Trinity Quad-Core A8-5xxx with a TPD rating of 65 watts.

I've purchased an AMD A8-5600K from ebay and am awaiting delivery.  It was only after I bought it that I realised this CPU has a TPD rating of 100 watts.

These are both FM2 sockets, but can anyone tell me if this CPU will work in this PC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Since your power supply is 180 watts, it MAY work, assuming there are no dedicated graphics, it might fit within the power limit of 180W. The PSU might struggle with a 100W cpu however, so the best bet is to check for yourself if it works well or not.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Since your power supply is 180 watts, it MAY work, assuming there are no dedicated graphics, it might fit within the power limit of 180W. The PSU might struggle with a 100W cpu however, so the best bet is to check for yourself if it works well or not.

HP Recommended

Thanks for that.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Much appreciate you responding.

HP Recommended

Just an update for every ones information.  A 100w cpu will not work in this pc. It arrived today and I installed it.  The system advised on POST that an incompatible CPU was installed and automatically powered down.

So, I have an AMD A8-5600K 100W CPU to trade for an AMD A8-5500 65W CPU, if anyone is interested.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.