Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-r017ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! I want to use the F (1-10) keys without holding the Fn key on my HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-r017ur. I checked my BIOS, and there didn't seem to be an entry in there for the keyboard, and the article you linked to requires that entry to disarm the [fn] function key shift.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@NOVAK

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that you would like to disable the Fn key function on your HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-r017ur

I'll try my best to help

Usually AIO desktop keyboards do not come with the FN key since the FN key is used on Notebooks.

Could you please send me a picture of the Keyboard?

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Model of keyboard: TPC-P001K

n3ghN4q.jpg

HP Recommended

@NOVAK

Thanks for keeping me posted.

This External Keyboard can be used for both Notebooks and Desktops, that is why the FN key is there.

I have checked your computer details and unfortunately you do not have the option to disable the FN Function in BIOS.

You can try using a regular Desktop Keyboard and the Function keys should work normally

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Same issue; crawled google for an official solution, there is none.

Workaround that i use (inspired by google):

* Download and install the program AutoHotKey

* Create a text file anywhere, change its extension to .ahk

* Paste the following content into it (i just cared about F1-F5 but you can extend it on your own if needed):

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
#InstallKeybdHook
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

; F1 key by default, Fn+F1 is now Mute/Unmute
VOLUME_MUTE::F1
F1::VOLUME_MUTE

; F2 key by default, Fn+F2 is now Volume Down
VOLUME_DOWN::F2
F2::VOLUME_DOWN

; F3 key by default, Fn+F3 is now Volume Up
VOLUME_UP::F3
F3::VOLUME_UP

; F4 key by default, Fn+F4 is now Media Prev
MEDIA_PREV::F4
F4::MEDIA_PREV

; F5 key by default, Fn+F5 is now Play/Pause
MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE::F5
F5::MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE

* Save the file, doubleclick it (it is an autohotkey script and will be executed by autohotkey, test if it runs to your liking. To terminate it, use the green AutoHotKey icon in your taskbar (Rightclick > Exit)

* If you do like it, put it into your Windows Startup Folder to have it launched on boottime

* Enjoy your reverted-back-to-normal Function Keys.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.