Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion p6540y system that I would like to upgrade. What are some good options for newer comparable components? Thank you

HP Pavilion p6540y Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

HP Pavilion p6540y Desktop

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

From the web-site that you cited:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
  • TDP=125W
  • AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (D)
  • AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (H)
  • AMD II Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (P)
  • AMD II Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe ®)
  • AMD II Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe ®)

So, having 3 or 4 processors, instead of 2, should speed-up your processing.

Do you still have the original 1TB "spinning" disk-drive? Replacing with a SSD would speed-up the input/output.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. It refuses to turn on now, I get a black screen, no beeps. The screen says no signal input although the fan runs in the case. Maybe it's time for a new motherboard as well. I didn't want to trash the case as it looks in very good condition.  The case is large enough for additional drives and the intent was to add them to support video editing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.