Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion wave
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I have a Pavilion Wave 600 now and I want to upgrade the SSD. I saw that the motherboard Lyon has one M.2 socket 3 with key M, but I do not know if it supports both SATA and PCIe or only PCIe. I looked up the OEM 128G Samsung SSD and it is PCIe Gen 3*4 interface, and I replaced with a WD SATA M.2 SSd and it did not work. I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of interface this Lyon board support. Thanks guys!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

The Lyon motherboard has two M.2 slots. One is for an M.2 wifi adapter and the other is for an SSD.

Look in the SSD M.2 slot and count the number of gold contacts on the side that has just a few. Post it here.

What is the part number that is on the SSD? Look that up to find out what the controller specification it is.  That is critically important to know.

" PCIe Gen 3*4 interface" should have been PCIe Gen 3.0 x4.

Use the Device Manager and click on Disk Drives to see the part number for the SSD.

I am not surprised that the SATA M.2 SSD did not work.

From what I see at the HP online store, the HP Wave 600 desktop PC is not sold with an SSD.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catEntryI...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi erico,

Thanks for your reply! I did not take a picture of the SSD M.2 slot there, and it is way too complicated to tear down the desktop again, so all I can have now is that the original OEM SSD is MZVPV128HDGM-000H1 from Samsung, and what I used to replace it is WDS100T1B0B from WD, and it is using SATA 6Gb/s interface. My best guess now is that the M.2 Slot only support PCIe interface.

Also, I bought this desktop from Microsoft store. This one has i7 processor and 128G SSD provided.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

That is a samsung SM951  PCIe  interface M.2 with an NVMe comtroller.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/client-ssd/MZVPV128HDGM?ia=831

That is currently the fastest SSD available and the only type that is likely to be compatible. Personally I prefer not to guess.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi erico,

Sure I checked that SSD and it is from Samsung SM951 series... However, SM951 series does not have 1TB SSD available and I just want an 1TB SSD for upgrade. I would not love to guess but there is no clear information of the hardware interface supported on the M.2 SATA on Lyon motherboard, just want to make sure how I can make a right choice (Sansumg do have newer generation SM961 available in 1TB, but it is way too pricy, so I am looking for other options)

Thank you again!

HP Recommended

Well, you will have to wait for the laws of supply and demand to kick in.

There will come a point where a next and possibly even lower cost generation of NVMe SSDs causes the price of 1TB NVMe SSD to drop.

HP Recommended

did you eve find out 

HP Recommended

Yes. It is PCIe 3.0*4 and works great with any PCIe SSD.

HP Recommended

i dont know if you resolve  this but in case you didnt  i was updating drivers since i had issue with sound and i came on this update and remembered your post as i had the same question last week  so there was a bios update recently which activate sata m2  drives support

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-wave-600-a000-desktop-pc-seri...

hope it helps

HP Recommended

Hello, I have too a Wave whith core i7 an 2tb Toshiba sata, Do you know if aditional to this I can add an ssd for sistem?

P.D. Can I install any SSD M.2; Sata or PCIe and will run properly? 

thanks in advance

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.