Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion wireless keyboard 600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have bought the wireles Pavillion 600 keyboard to go with my non HP laptop. However, the top row of the keyboard is a combined multi media/function key row. 

What is really unusable for me is that the multimedia is the defauilt. So in order to press F5 to refresh my browser, I have to press FN+f5. 

My laptop also has such a combined row but i set it in the bios to always use the function keys. This setting of course has no effect at all on my wireless keyboard.

I have looked for resolutions and found people mentioning pressing both the esc key as the FN key to lock it, but that doesnt work. 

Really, for the life of me I don't understand why the designers would not give us a way to decide for ourselves what the default is and add a FN-lock button on the keyboard like a lot of keyboards have.

Is there a way to fix this?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MrScratchy

Welcome to HP Forums,  

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that your experiencing issue with the keyboard function keys,
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• is this first time you're trying to enable/use the multimedia functions key?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix:

Let's trying switch back from the multimedia to standard function, press the fn+esc keys simultaneously again.

Pressing the Fn key simultaneously with an f1 to f11 key performs the standard function.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there, I have the same question. Fn+Esc didn't work. On my laptop the function keys react normal (so inverse to my wireless keyboard). Have you got the solution?

HP Recommended

Yep, Same problem! What an idiot designed it to work like this?

HP Recommended

Hi there, 

I have the same issue and just to be mentioned, pressing "fn+esc" keys simultaneously does not work !!!

Is there a way HP has figured out this annoying problem of action keys beeing always on  ???

At this point I m leaning towards sending the keyboard back to store as I cannot use it for my daily work, if there s no solution for this matter

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.