Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G4 Desktop Mini PC
Ubuntu LTS

Hello. I'm using my device as mini home server. Lately i upgraded RAM to 32 GB so all my VMs have breathable space. But now i want to go a bit further. I'd like to add NAS capabilities and here's my question.

Can i use that M.2 E-key slot to whatever i want or i'm restricted to use Wireless module there only? I'd like to put there M.2 E-key to PCIe x16 cable so i can connect SATA controller onto in to be able to connect more drives into this system. I know it wouldn't be pretty as it would need to be outside of the case (i'll make custom enclosure for that) but the main think is it would work. That's why i'm asking if this would be possible or i'm forced to put that M.2 to x16 PCIe to the M.2 M-key slot for storage?

Also, have you any experiences with this kind of cables?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Pheggas -- how about something simple:

StarTech.com 18in 1 Port SATA to eSATA Plate Adapter - External SATA Plate - 6Gbps eSATA Port - Inte...

This connects to a SATA socket on the motherboard, and provides an external-SATA port on a "spine".

Then, use an eSATA cable to connect to one disk-drive in your NAS.

Repeat, if you have two disk-drives in your NAS.

You'll get "full" SATA speed.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, i don't have any SATA on my motherboard. That's why i'm overcomplicating it. In my eyes, there's no other option, that's why i asked if anyone have experiences with this. If i would have SATA port avalible it wouldn't be as big problem as it is.

But really appreciate your reply!

HP Recommended

@Pheggas -- Unfortunately, i don't have any SATA on my motherboard. 

That is hard to believe, especially if your computer has a CD/DVD drive with a SATA interface. There must be a SATA cable from the back of the device going down to the motherboard.

Example of SATA ports: SATA-2-700x525.jpeg (700×525) (pcguide101.com)

There do exist add-in cards that connect to a PCI-E socket on the motherboard, to add internal SATA ports and external eSATA ports. Some cards only add internal SATA ports.

Example: 81ISbgxem0L._AC_SY450_.jpg (811×450) (media-amazon.com)

HP Recommended

@Pheggas -- i don't have any SATA on my motherboard.

Is this your computer: HP ProDesk 400 G4 Desktop Mini Business PC Specifications | HP® Customer Support

On that page, I see:

SATA drives

500 GB, 7.2 K rpm, 6.35 cm (2.5 in)
1 TB, 7.2 K rpm, 6.35 cm (2.5 in)
2 TB, 5.4 K rpm, 6.35 cm (2.5 in)

Solid State Hybrid drives (SSHD)

500 GB, 5.4 K rpm, 6.35 cm (2.5 in), 8 GB hybrid
1 TB, 5.4 K rpm, 6.35 cm (2.5 in), 8 GB hybrid
2 TB, 5.4 K rpm, 6.35 cm (2.5 in), 8 GB hybrid

Self-Encrypting drives (SED HDD)
500 GB, 7.2 K rpm, 6.35 cm (2.5 in), SED Opal 2
500 GB, 7.2 K rpm, 6.35 cm (2.5 in), SED FIPS

plus other SSD & NVME storage devices.

HP Recommended

Well, apparently, i have one SATA connector BUT it's something like adapter from 5 wire connector on motherboard to this SATA. You can see what I'm talking about by searching up "DD0F80HD000" in Google and click on Images. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of connector that is (I mean that flat wire) so I can't make more research on it. Sadly, i can't just connect 5x SATA on that SATA connector that I have. If I would use your first comment, I would end up with one SATA HDD connected and I need 5 of them connected.

Really looking forward for your reply!

Ps: this is what it looks like: 

IMG_20220121_112141.jpg

EDIT: It's sata flex cable.

HP Recommended

@Pheggas -- your motherboard is not the "normal" motherboard.  But, there is workable option for you.

To repeat, there do exist add-in cards that connect to a PCI-E socket on the motherboard, to add internal SATA ports and external eSATA ports. 

Once your computer has one eSATA port,

see:  4 Drive Multi Bay External HDD Enclosure - External Drive Enclosures (startech.com)

You can put 4 disk-drives into this enclosure, and use one eSATA cable from this enclosure to the eSATA port on the add-in adapter card.  Much better than trying to build your own enclosure, and trying to add multiple SATA ports "inside" your computer.

I expect that there are similar external enclosures that have more than 4 drive-bays.

EDIT: This video, created by HP, is not what you need to do, but it does show good details of servicing the computer: Replace the Motherboard | HP ProDesk 400 G6, G5 and G4 Small Form Factor PC | HP - YouTube

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.