Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-p031NL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody. I guess to know if I can upgrade my current HDD, (1 TB) mounted on my HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-p031NL, with a HP SSD S700 (Sata 3, 1Tb).

I ask this as I tried to upgrade my desktop buying a Samsung EVO 870 SSD, but it failed post as reported in HP blocking SSD topic . As this desktop does not have a PCI slot available (the only one available is occupied by the RADEON GPU), the solution descripted in that thread is not available. (current Fw version is: 82FE F.02, so the oldest one)

I would avoid buing a second device that is not supported by my desktop (even if it is an HP SSD!), so before buying it I wanna know your opinion. Is there any chance to use the Samsung EVO one or should I buy the second (HP) one or just leave my current HDD?

Thank you for your support!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@cigno985 

How do you connect new SSD to SATA slot ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello Banhein, I cloned the original Hp Hdd to the Samsung one using an external USB adapter. Cloned succeeded. Then I simply swapped the hdd replacing it with the ssd using the same cables. So in the end I got the ssd connected instead of the hdd one.

Before doing swap I edit bios config to disable secure boot (not sure to be honest if I also enabled legacy).

Ask me for more info if needed.

Regards

HP Recommended

This might be the difference

HP uses a Silicon chipset SM2258XT
Samsung MKX Controller

But probably you have more than 1 SATA connector. You can try this:

Run the system from your HDD and connect the SAMSUNG to a 2nd SATA port

Does the machine boot and will the Samsung be detected in the device manager?

HP Recommended

Hello VH2000, thank you for your reply. I have not performed that check in the past, but i may try. Unfortunately, the PC is at my parent's home, so I will try next days, when I will go there. For what I can remember, there are 2 out of 4 sata connectors occupied on the mobo. Each of them connects HDD and CDRom respectively to the mobo.

HP Recommended

Hello everyone. First, let me apologize for the late reply, but I could perform some tests just in this weekend.

In the end, I gave up trying to setup the Samsung EVO 870 SSD on my desktop. That pc is used by my parents and I don't have enough time to reach their village and perform all the test, so as I ran out space on my personal HP laptop (which is a  5+ years old hp pavillon) i used the Samsung SSD on that and it worked fine.

I bought the HP SSD S700 (Sata 3, 1Tb) from an online market and tried it on the HP Pavilion Desktop and it worked perfectly as soon as i cloned and replaced the original HDD, so I'm satisfied (even if it costed 20% more than the Samsung one).

Just to recap:

HP ENVY Notebook 15ae100-nl (FW 80E5, F.19) + Samsung EVO 820 SSD (a ssd I tried to mount on) = WORKS

HP ENVY Notebook 15ae100-nl (FW 80E5, F.19) + Samsung EVO 870 SSD = WORKS

HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-p031NL (FW 82FE F.02), + Samsung EVO 870 SSD = FAIL

HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-p031NL (FW 82FE F.02), + HP SSD S700 (Sata 3, 1Tb) = WORKS

Note: inside the user manual of HP SSD S700 there is a remark stating the unit is not intended to be installed on HP Workstations. 🙄

Thanks all for your support

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.