Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
TouchSmart All in one 9300 Elite
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I finally got this 9300 up and running on Windows 7 after it crashed and burned doing a reset with Win8.1. It had been upgraded to Win 8.1 with a new hard drive. I found the old hard drive and got it running with that. I am trying to decide on reinstalling Win8.1 or upgrading to Win10. It will be a fresh install on a clean hard drive.

I do not see a bios update for Win8.1 and no drivers or software for Win10.  I was told the bios was OS dependent, needing the correct bios for the version of Windows installed. If there are no updates for Win8.1 or Win10, how does that work?

Also, if there are no drivers or software listed for Win10, does that mean I can not install Win10?

Any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@den9421,

You will appreciate this simple non-MS speak.

If a computer has a legitimate WIN 7, 8, or 8.1 OS, aka "activated" , all you need is an internet connection.  I do prefer an Ethernet connection, as WIN 10 installs faster on a direct connection.

1) Running the WIN 10 download from this site has 2 options.

a) Onto an existing system, it is an auto-update in place service. Replaces the OS.

b) For another computer: creates a bootable media on either an 8GB USB device, or a 4.3 GB DVD. The caveat is that the other computer has to have the BOOT order changed to match the media.  With this option there are also 2 options.

(1) Onto an existing system, it is an auto-update in place service. Replaces the OS.

(2) Custom: Quick format the drive, and installs WIN 10.  You treat the computer as new, but skip the entering of the Product Key. It will pickup the activation when  it asks for the internet connection.

When all is done, and you have WIN 10 on a system,  MS records the WIN10 and embeds it into the NRAM of the BIOS. From that point, it will always know it is WIN 10, even if you put in a new virgin hard drive. It will allow step (2).

Not sure what your trying to accomplish with these drive swaps from other computers, but it usually will not activate.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@den9421 , welcome to the forum.

The problem that you will have is the fact that your computer is over 9 years old.  HP no longer provides Software and Driver updates for it, as you have found.  However, with that said, here is a guide that will help you find drivers for Win 10: 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-touchsmart-9300-elite-all-in-one-pc/5060844/document/c033301...

This will not include the BIOS update.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

The BIOS is not tied to any specific OS as far as I know... Yes, BIOS versions 7.xx came with Win7, BIOS 80.xx Win8 and BIOS A0.xx & F.xx Win10.

You SHOULD be OK to do a clean install of Windows 10 on this unit. Windows 10 will more-than-likely have all the drivers needed to get it going. If the drivers aren't installed during the initial setup, then they'll get pulled down with the 1st Windows update run. Make sure you at least update to the latest version 7.15: https://support.hp.com/au-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-touchsmart-9300-elite-all-in-one-pc/5060844

Your BIOS does not support UEFI, which is required for the latest Windows 10 1909 to boot off of the USB installation stick. So you could either make a stick of an earlier Windows 10 ISO, such as 1709, OR you could install clean Windows 7, then straight after insert the Windows 10 1909 stick and perform an 'upgrade' from within Win7, Choose 'keep nothing' and it'll do a clean install of Win10 1909. If you still have a Win7 or Win8 product key, you can use this to activate Win10.

HP Recommended

The HP TouchSmart 9300 bios does support UEFI so that part is not a problem.Something I found that is curious to me. The Windows media creator gives the option to create a DVD or USB device but if you choose DVD is says the DVD is not big enough. I have a friend's PC that I'm changing out the hard drive and it has Windows 10 Home on a DVD. Why does it fit that DVD but not the one I tried to burn?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info on the drivers for Windows 10. I usually go to all the hardware sites to check for driver updates. That works if I can get it up and running on what Windows installs. As I said in my other reply, the bios does support UEFI so that part is not a problem.

I got sidetracked helping a friend change out an 18 moth old failed hard drive. I'll get back to this one this week so I can get it put back together.

HP Recommended

@den9421,

You will appreciate this simple non-MS speak.

If a computer has a legitimate WIN 7, 8, or 8.1 OS, aka "activated" , all you need is an internet connection.  I do prefer an Ethernet connection, as WIN 10 installs faster on a direct connection.

1) Running the WIN 10 download from this site has 2 options.

a) Onto an existing system, it is an auto-update in place service. Replaces the OS.

b) For another computer: creates a bootable media on either an 8GB USB device, or a 4.3 GB DVD. The caveat is that the other computer has to have the BOOT order changed to match the media.  With this option there are also 2 options.

(1) Onto an existing system, it is an auto-update in place service. Replaces the OS.

(2) Custom: Quick format the drive, and installs WIN 10.  You treat the computer as new, but skip the entering of the Product Key. It will pickup the activation when  it asks for the internet connection.

When all is done, and you have WIN 10 on a system,  MS records the WIN10 and embeds it into the NRAM of the BIOS. From that point, it will always know it is WIN 10, even if you put in a new virgin hard drive. It will allow step (2).

Not sure what your trying to accomplish with these drive swaps from other computers, but it usually will not activate.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Hibb1,

It has been the experience of others that the BIOS updates are tied to the original OS.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I will give the direct download update a try. I have a USB drive with restore media for Windows 7 on this 9300 All in One that I got from HP. What I will do is this:

1. Put the new hard drive in it.

2. install the Windows 7 on it and get it running.

3. Upgrade to Windows 10 with a direct download to the clean Windows 7 install.

I have an Ethernet connection to this PC from the router.

The hard drive swap I mentioned was a different PC that had a hard drive failure and a new one was needed.

The 9300 original hard drive was replaced with a new one when Windows 8.1 was installed. Then Windows 8.1 crashed and I put the original hard drive back in to get it up and running to make sure the PC was not the problem. I tested and Wiped the hard drive that had Windows 8.1 installed on it. I am putting that hard drive back in to get Windows 10 installed on it. I hope this clears up what I am doing. I sometimes forget that because I know what I'm doing doesn't mean others know what I'm doing.

Thank you for the help.

HP Recommended

Just to let you know that I'm posting this from the 9300 with Windows 10. So far so good. Device Manager shows no errors

I haven't downloaded any Windows updates yet..

HP Recommended

@den9421,

Glad to know you followed the proper sequence.  Thank you for the gracious follow-up.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.