Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
USB 250w
Other

While coping some files to usb i get an error saying the disk is write prtected. I could not format or delet any files. This usb was newly purchased. Can some one help be how to fix i googled but without luck. Can i do factory reset of ugrade firmware that might solve the problem.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Abdulaziz_Salee

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand when you are copying files to your flash drive you are getting disk is write protected error.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to the flash drive?

Have you tried checking with a different flash drive with a different computer or with a different flash drive?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Click Start, type Regedit in the search box, click Regedit.exe to open the Registry editor when you see it is displayed at the top of the list. And then navigate to the following key: 

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Double-click on the WriteProtect value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK to save the change. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the write protection is removed and the device is no longer write protected.

Let me know if this works!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

No i have not made any changes to flash drive.

Yes, other flash drive are working this flas drive in not working in any computers.

I have done the regedit but without luck still  write protected error.

Thanks

Abdulaziz

HP Recommended

@Abdulaziz_Salee, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Connect the flash drive to your PC, Right-click on the Start button (bottom left of the screen) and choose Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following commands.

diskpart
list disk
select disk x (where x is the number of your non-working drive – use the capacity to work out which one it is)
attributes disk clear readonly
clean
create partition primary
format fs=fat32  (you can swap fat32 for ntfs if you only need to use the drive with Windows computers)
exit

I'll watch your reply!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done this diskpart process but it is not allowing to create partition...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.