Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I currently have a HP Z2 G5 SFF Desktop Workstation, which is fitted with a 512GB NVme PCIe SDD. (HP/Samsung) I am looking to upgrade to a lager 1 TB device, but I am not able to confidently identify which product is compatible with my PC. Has anyone successfully upgraded to one of the more contemporary products by Crucial, Samsung, WD etc. I cant really afford to purchase and risk the device being incompatible.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

in the future post workstation related questions in the workstation forum and you stand a better chance of getting a useful answer 

the HP Z2 G4 SFF can use a gen 3 or gen 4 NVME M.2 based SSD that uses the 2280 form factor as it's main boot/storage device it will work with just about and current nvme drive currently on the market but some are more suited for high end usage and some are more suited for archival use (not daily use) 

in a nutshell any older "MLC" based ssd and current midrange/high end TLC based ssd's will work for the majority of people

if you want to be absolutely sure of compatibility, buy direct from the SSD maker such as crucial

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-z2-g4-small-form-factor-workstation

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

in the future post workstation related questions in the workstation forum and you stand a better chance of getting a useful answer 

the HP Z2 G4 SFF can use a gen 3 or gen 4 NVME M.2 based SSD that uses the 2280 form factor as it's main boot/storage device it will work with just about and current nvme drive currently on the market but some are more suited for high end usage and some are more suited for archival use (not daily use) 

in a nutshell any older "MLC" based ssd and current midrange/high end TLC based ssd's will work for the majority of people

if you want to be absolutely sure of compatibility, buy direct from the SSD maker such as crucial

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-z2-g4-small-form-factor-workstation

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.