Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z220 Workstation CMT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought an HP Z220 CMT hoping to upgrade it. Every time I put in a graphics card, it gives off the 6 beeps which is the pre-video graphics card error or it just uses the onboard video and doesn't detect the graphics card. I tried a GT 730, a GTX 650 Ti 2GB, and a GTX 1050 Ti. I turned off Secure Boot, turned on and off Legacy support, and changing BIOS settings. I updated the Bios to the latest version. I looked it up and found no help. Can someone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I figured it out. If you go to the Advanced option in the Bios, go to the ROM options at the bottom and turn the video option rom download to UEFI only. I now have display from my GTX 1050 Ti.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@clscomputers_14, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you should do is check to see if you have UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  The video cards that you are installing require UEFI.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  I am not certain when your workstation was released.  There are two dates on the Maintenance and Service Guide.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

The thing is that the i5 3570 that is in my unit wasn't made until Q2 of 2012. And when I go into the boot order, it has a legacy boot order and a UEFI boot order. I think my machine does have UEFI. That's not the issue I don't think.

HP Recommended

I figured it out. If you go to the Advanced option in the Bios, go to the ROM options at the bottom and turn the video option rom download to UEFI only. I now have display from my GTX 1050 Ti.

HP Recommended

Good job, @clscomputers_14.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.