Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Tower Base Model Workstation

Hello. I just wanted to check that the ECC 2133mhz RAM for the E3-1240-V5 (in my HP z240), will work with the i7-6700K?

My amateur understanding is that the RAM will work... but the 6700K will only recognize it as Non ECC. Which is no problem for me.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the HP Quickspecs for your workstation:

HP Z240 Tower Workstation (compeve.com)

The note at the top of page 10 indicates that the Intel core processors only support non-ECC memory.

Intel® Xeon E3, Intel® Core i3 and Intel® Pentium processors can support either ECC or non-ECC memory;
Intel® Core i5/i7 processors only support non-ECC memory.

You would have to replace the ECC memory with non-ECC memory,

The PC will not boot up with an i7-6700K processor installed with ECC memory installed.

HP - Compaq HP Z240 Workstation | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the HP Quickspecs for your workstation:

HP Z240 Tower Workstation (compeve.com)

The note at the top of page 10 indicates that the Intel core processors only support non-ECC memory.

Intel® Xeon E3, Intel® Core i3 and Intel® Pentium processors can support either ECC or non-ECC memory;
Intel® Core i5/i7 processors only support non-ECC memory.

You would have to replace the ECC memory with non-ECC memory,

The PC will not boot up with an i7-6700K processor installed with ECC memory installed.

HP - Compaq HP Z240 Workstation | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply Paul.

I read on a couple of other forums that the motherboard decides whether ECC or Non ECC will work (not the CPU) and given that the HP Z240 motherboard can use both, I thought it might be viable to use ECC with the i7 6700k.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that's why the motherboard can support both types of memory but only with certain processors as listed.

The Intel specs for the processor you want to install indicates that ECC memory is not supported.

Intel Core i76700K Processor 8M Cache up to 4.20 GHz Product Specifications

HP Recommended

While I have your attention Paul...

In regards to the E3-1270 V6, which states it supports DDR4 2400mhz. Is that a "max speed of 2400mhz" only and it will also support the slower DDR4 2133mhz RAM (that I have installed already). Or is that just "2400mhz only"?

Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the processor should run with a DDR4-2133 memory chip but that will slow down its performance some.

The i7-6700K runs the memory at a max speed of 2133 MHz but you will have to replace the memory anyway.

HP Recommended

Thank you again Paul for your help and advice. Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.