Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Workstation (1JP11AV)
Linux

Hello,

I want to purchase new NVME's for my HP Z4 G4 and wonder how relevant OPAL/OPAL2 is. I am looking at:

Samsung 980 PRO 2 TB (OPAL2)

Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB (no OPAL2)

After reading some articles about SED/OPAL I am unsure what to get. Can anyone share some experience?

Thanks for the support.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Samsung 980 PRO 2 TB (OPAL2)

Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB (no OPAL2)

Those are all generation 4 express cards.

Your specs show the Z4 G4 as being generation 3

BeemerBiker_0-1664203500549.png

Assuming they are backwards compatible they will only run at gen3 speed.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community
I am a community volunteer and not work for HP.
If you find this post useful click the YES button
If I helped solve your problem please mark this as a solution.

HP Recommended

Hello,

thanks for sharing your experience. 🙂

I am aware that the HP Z4 G4 will attach NVME’s only at PCIe 3.0 speeds and yes, the Samsung 980 Pro is backward compatible. In one of my HP Z4 G4 I have two 980s installed and they work fine.

My question aimed more towards the relevance and usefulness of NVME’s supporting OPAL2 when used as a daily driver. My understanding is that NVME’s with OPAL2 support provide an additional layer of security.

So, can any Windows and/or Linux user share his experience with OPAL2 based NVME’s?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.