Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP Z600 with dual xeon e5620 and GTX 950.

The fans of the computer are always at the same speed, the ones for the CPUs or the ones of the workstation.

I installed speed fan, it tells me i have 4 fans, 3 at 800 / 900 RPM and one at 0.

Technicly i have : 3 fans for the workstation, 2 for the CPUs, 1 for the RAM, a little one with heat spreader, the ones of my GPU and maybe one for the storage (not sure).

So, my point is, is there a problem here ? And can i regulate the fans' speed because they are always at the same speed, wich is pretty noisy (not the GPU).

Btw fanspeed doesn't change my fans' speed.

Thanks for your answer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

your z600 has a Ambient Air Sensor that is part of the power cable assembly, when this sensor fails it will cause the case fans (but not the cpu fans) to ramp up to full speed shortly after power on

the bios will show the ambient air temp as "0" if the sensor has failed

the sensor is embedded in the power cable near the  end of the black sleeving at the end near the power switch

it is a common plastic 2n222a transistor that has 3 pins, with 2 leads connected into one and the 3rd lead by itself

if you carefully open your cable you will see this transistor, and the white and brown wires that connect to it

simply wire up/solder the new transistor the EXACT same way making sure the same two leads on the new transistor match the old and that the white/brown wires connect to the same pins on the new transistor as the old one did

https://www.theengineeringprojects.com/2017/06/introduction-to-2n2222.html

HP Recommended
Hi !
Thank you for your answer.
So I took a look in the BIOS of the computer and it turns out that it gives me the temperature and the speed of the fans without problems.
I haven't found an automatic mode, but I can change the speed of the centilators in "temperature". They are at the minimum, if I put the maximum we are on the noise of a cruise ship I think ...
BTW i didn't find any 2N2222 in my workstation, maybe hidden somewhere... If the fans are already at minimum (which is already noisy), that's okay, just could that be a problem for the temperature of the components? If so, we would need a means to manage them automatically (see manually) without going through the BIOS. I will check at what temperature the components go when i play. Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

go back and REREAD what i previously posted, you either failed to understand or did not fully read the post

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.