Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-g010 All-in-One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion 23-g010 All-in-One Desktop PC loses date and time if I unplug it. I have changed the CMOS battery twice just to make sure the new battery I put in the first time was not a bad battery. I was giving this aio and I want to sell it but I need to figure out why it is doing this. Time and date goes all the way back to build date (2011)

1. Went into BIOS and set the date and time

2. Went back to BIOS when date and time reset the second time and set BIOS back to default

3. Changed the battery two times each time going to BIOS and setting the time and date and setting BIOS back to default.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link on changing CMOS battery but I do know how to do that and I did so twice.

Bios update was a good ideal because there is always a reason why they came out with that update. I had hoped that maybe the update would have something to do with date and time. But it did not say it was for that but I did the update anyway.

I knew it acted as if it forgot the battery was in there when I unplugged it. So I thought maybe the contacts needed to be cleaned. So I did that and it is now working fine.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Your problem is usually caused by an old MB battery.

You reset the BIOS and have also reset CMOS by swapping in new MB batteries.

I would think the MB may be in trouble if this problem persists.

You could try updating the BIOS (Link). Be patient during the update.

Don't reboot or shut down the PC while the update is in progress as this can corrupt the BIOS update and bork your PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

if you have access to a multimeter, mesure the battery loltage  and if under 3.0 it's bad

i have seen batteries sold in the stores that are way past their listed expire date

HP Recommended

Thanks, I will try the Bios update.

HP Recommended

Hi Cwilson1962,

Please refer additional questions at DGroves.

He has taken ownership of this thread.

Regards

HP Recommended

updating the bios will not fix the time issue (but should be done reguardless)

here's how to replace the CMOS battery

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04275882

HP Recommended

Hi DGroves,

If the BIOS update is pointless then why suggest it should be done?

Who is correct. Or am I just not smart enough to see what you are saying?

Well, what is the answer to this? Do you have inside knowledge? Please share this knowledge with all forum members

Have you tested systems and determined a BIOS update will not fix this problem?

Please forgive my additional questions, I am trying to gain knowledge from HP experts to become a better HP forum member.

Regards

HP Recommended

you are mixing up two diffrent things, the time issue is one item and that most likely can be resolved by replacing the cmos battery that also powers the clock when power is removed from the system, and also matains the current bios settings

updating the Bios corrects or fixes found problems with the system or security holes in the system, and is a seperate item from the time problem if you wish to know what the bios updates fixes read the descripton tab next to the bios download tab on the HP page which has your models drivers/updates

have i presented it in a better way for you?  i am happy to answer your questions

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the quick response.

I am learning so much from you.

Please continue disseminating your knowledge in the forum so others, including many HP experts,  can benefit from your wisdom.

Regards

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link on changing CMOS battery but I do know how to do that and I did so twice.

Bios update was a good ideal because there is always a reason why they came out with that update. I had hoped that maybe the update would have something to do with date and time. But it did not say it was for that but I did the update anyway.

I knew it acted as if it forgot the battery was in there when I unplugged it. So I thought maybe the contacts needed to be cleaned. So I did that and it is now working fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.