Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z800 Base Model Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Dears,

Firstly I would like to thanks for everyone's answers me.

My inquiry about I have HP Z800 Base Model Workstation with 1110 Watt power supply, and dual CPU Xeon x5675, and 6 HDD Drive with 32GB Ram.

When I try to install Radeon R9 280x on this device , suddenly the device is restart.

It just only one 250 Watt viga card with 1110 Watt power supply, why this happened.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

what many people fail to realise is that the z800/z820/z840 (and most of the lower end models) use a power supply that is a multirail design not the more common single rail design found today on most consumer systems

the difference is in the name: ie multi rail means the supply has multiple supply rails instead of just one

this is important, because a multi rail like the z800 1110 watt supply has TWO GPU RAILS, aka power supply outputs and each output has a rated current limit, and if exceeded the video card will not work or crash at random

note that this GPU rail limit is separate from the other rails so for example if one rail is capable of 150 watts and the other is the same then the max is 300 watts no matter how much/little the other rails can supply to the system

this differs from a single rail design where the max CPU wattage is whatever the system requires up to the supplies listed max output

to balance the load, on the z800 1115 watt supply you will note that one rail has two 6 pin GPU connectors and the other single 6 pin connector is on the second GPU rail

so you want to use BOTH GPU RAILS to power the 290x card, do not connect both GPU connectors to only one rail as that puts the entire 250 watt load on a single GPU rail, and will overload it when the card enters 3d mode

last, has the card been tested in another system? in other words is the card a known good card?

further z800 workstation  posts should be made in the workstation/pos/business forum as users there actually have/use these systems

and as for the card not working because it's a non UEFI legacy system (it is) unlike most consumer bioses that were never fixed by the computer maker to allow proper video card UEFI bios to Legacy bios switching the HP workstations do allow proper switchin of the video card bios mode as such later UEFI enabled cards also work

if your in the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJBwAEwh488

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAnfVL9cBLM

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@o00semsem00o,

Do you know that unit is circa 2008, and originally had WIN Vista OS ?

Put it back to an operational configuration, aka remove the R9 card.

Run this program, and report back the BIOS mode.    I do suspect it is "BIOS"  (Legacy),  and not UEFI.

A machine with BIOS (Legacy) is not capable of upgrade into UEFIvBIOS.   The R9 will NOT work.

Here are the specifications, and a list of GPU cards that will work.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply,

Just want to mention that the device I already work perfectly, the problem is for example: when I run Batalfild 3 it is run and start and loading with everything is ok, until my first move the device is suddenly turn off and restart.

Did you think that because of power supply?

But it is 1110watt😭

HP Recommended

@o00semsem00o,

I ask a question, you did not answer it.🙄

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

"Do you know that unit is circa 2008, and originally had WIN Vista OS ?"   No it's had WIN 7 OS, and Upgrade to WIN 10 now

There is still a misunderstanding in my inquiry.
What I'm talking about is that the Radeon R9 280x  gets up and works and everything is fine, unless I need to press it when playing a game like "battlefield3", then suddenly the device shutdown and restart.
I am surprised that the HP Z 800 has 1110 PSU but it does not have the capacity to handle this card, Why?

HP Recommended

@o00semsem00o,

What is the BIOS mode of your unit.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

BIOS ID:786G5 v03.57

HP Recommended

what many people fail to realise is that the z800/z820/z840 (and most of the lower end models) use a power supply that is a multirail design not the more common single rail design found today on most consumer systems

the difference is in the name: ie multi rail means the supply has multiple supply rails instead of just one

this is important, because a multi rail like the z800 1110 watt supply has TWO GPU RAILS, aka power supply outputs and each output has a rated current limit, and if exceeded the video card will not work or crash at random

note that this GPU rail limit is separate from the other rails so for example if one rail is capable of 150 watts and the other is the same then the max is 300 watts no matter how much/little the other rails can supply to the system

this differs from a single rail design where the max CPU wattage is whatever the system requires up to the supplies listed max output

to balance the load, on the z800 1115 watt supply you will note that one rail has two 6 pin GPU connectors and the other single 6 pin connector is on the second GPU rail

so you want to use BOTH GPU RAILS to power the 290x card, do not connect both GPU connectors to only one rail as that puts the entire 250 watt load on a single GPU rail, and will overload it when the card enters 3d mode

last, has the card been tested in another system? in other words is the card a known good card?

further z800 workstation  posts should be made in the workstation/pos/business forum as users there actually have/use these systems

and as for the card not working because it's a non UEFI legacy system (it is) unlike most consumer bioses that were never fixed by the computer maker to allow proper video card UEFI bios to Legacy bios switching the HP workstations do allow proper switchin of the video card bios mode as such later UEFI enabled cards also work

if your in the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJBwAEwh488

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAnfVL9cBLM

HP Recommended

thanks DGroves,

HP Recommended

The Issue is solve.  Thanks DGroves

Want to mention that i already work on:
HP z800 With 2x CPU: Xeon X5675
32 GB Ram-1115Watt SPU-2 GPU x Radeon R9 280x CrossFire

i use power cable convert for each GPU Radeon R9 280x from 6pin to 8pin - and from SATA power to 6pin

And It work perfectly now

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.