Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq DC7900 Minitower PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi. My husband's computer is an HP Compaq DC7900 Minitower PC with Windows 7 Professional installed. The hard drive on my husband's computer is a Hitachi Deskstar Sata 3.0 7200 rpm, Model #HDS721010KLA330. I was wondering what kind of hard drive would be compatible with this type of PC. I don't want to put the same brand of hard drive back into it. The computer is locking up.  I have tried starting it in the Safe Mode, but it won't go completely into Safe Mode. All u get is a black screen with a bunch of weird stuff on the screen. Then if you try starting it in "Boot Menu" it says that Windows is loading files, but it then locks up on that screen. I have tried to boot it with a boot disc, but it locks up & shuts itself off. When the option to repair comes up I have clicked on this option & it says that "windows is loading files" & it locks up. It just stays on loading files for hours. Doesn't get the files loaded. I have downloaded the Windows 7 OS & put it on disc & tried to reformat the hard drive this way, but it doesn't work. Just ends up shutting itself off. I think it might be because of Windows 7 being on there & since Microsoft doesn't support that OS anymore that is where the problem lies. I am thinking that the hard drive needs to be replaced or can you give me any tips on how to go about reformatting the hard drive when you can't get it to do anything. Thank you for any help you can give me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It could be that replacing the hard drive and reinstalling Windows is the way to go.  The drive you mention is a 1TB drive 7200RPM and very easy to replace.  Any common 1TB 7200RPM STA III drive can be used and they are inexpensive.  An easy DIY project since you have the install media.  Here is a sample of a reliable drive, since you would rather not use  a direct model replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-1TB-Hard-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=pd_sbs_147_1/138-0781656-3491749?_en...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It could be that replacing the hard drive and reinstalling Windows is the way to go.  The drive you mention is a 1TB drive 7200RPM and very easy to replace.  Any common 1TB 7200RPM STA III drive can be used and they are inexpensive.  An easy DIY project since you have the install media.  Here is a sample of a reliable drive, since you would rather not use  a direct model replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-1TB-Hard-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=pd_sbs_147_1/138-0781656-3491749?_en...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for answering my question! I really appreciate it! You are very knowledgeable. You have a wonderful night!

HP Recommended

Thank for the kind words.  If you need further help, come back and I would be glad to assist.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you! I will.

HP Recommended

I have another question. I was wondering if you can buy a new hard drive with the OS already installed?

HP Recommended

That is very unlikely for anyone to offer that, especially for a PC which is that old and you want Windows 7.  The problem with someone having Windows 7 installed on a new hard drive and not doing it on your PC, they would need to have the same PC and the same hardware for all of that to be of any help.

In a previous posting there was mention of some other possible problems - and not being able to get into Safe Mode.  If it was me - I would use another PC and make a Linux Live CD, probably Linux Mint or an older version of Ubuntu that will fit on a CD or make a USB version.  Then try to boot this HP Compaq DC7900 Minitower PC to that.  No changes are made to the hard drive or the software already on there.  If it boots fine to the Linux Live CD and you can do most anything you like, then proceed with the new hard drive and use the Windows 7 install disk/USB that you have OR try Windows 10.  BTW: you can download Windows 10 from Microsoft for free and try it before you buy, to see if that will be more to your liking.  Doing a Windows 7 install and trying to get it up-to-date will be a chore and Windows 7 is not longer supported, as you already know.

If you need help going down that avenue, I can help with any of those choices, too.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.