Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

At time of start up I received on screen this message,

hard disk error. Please run the hard disc test in system diagnostics. Hard disk 4 (3F4)

F2- System diagnostics

for more information please visit:

https://www.hp.com/go/tech center/start up

I ran this diagnostics by choosing F2. it came back with the same error code. I did try to reach out to HP online without any connection. No help at all. That was done on my phone through their help line. Has anyone had this problem with the F2 error code. Hard Disk 4?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Pete-mybuddy , welcome to the Community.

This error code is telling you that your hard drive is failing or has failed.  It appears that your drive has failed.  The only solution is to replace the drive.  If you haven't made a backup of your personal data it will be lost forever.

You may want to consider installing a SSD if you haven't done so.  If you would like to consider this option, furnish the Product Number of your computer and I will help you decide which SSD's will be compatible.  A SSD boot drive will increase system performance considerably.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

It is interesting that the message refernces "disk 4".

Typically, the "C:" disk-drive is "3F0", and your CD/DVD is "3F1", and your next device will be "3F2", and so on.

Does your computer have multiple disk-drives?  Internal? External?

Does the front-panel of your computer's case have slots for various memory-cards (as used in digital cameras), that could be assigned as "3F4" ?  If so, remove any memory-card, and restart your computer.

HP Recommended

Unplug your CD-ROM cable and use that to plug your hard drive in with. If you don't have a CD-ROM; grab a new SATA cable.

That's how I fixed this issue; please leave me a thumbs up if this solves yours!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.