Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-164 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Where does a wide red wire within PC belong? How to re-plug in CD/DVD unit? Inside of my PC is a wide red wire/line. It is not plugged into anything. Wide meaning in comparison to the others. (flat in appearance) My best guess: It goes to the CD/DVD unit that no longer functions. Reviewed help as to replacing the unit but it shows only the CD/DVD player and not where the other ends of two cables plug in. Also searched for a schematic to no avail. Would appreciate 1. Where does the red wire go if anywhere? 2. Where do the two wires out of CD/DVD player plug into? Not familiar with internal parts. Thanks for taking the time to review my question.  

G. Dime
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi@GDimesWorth, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that has an explanation it looks like a SATA cable. and the power connecter.

Please find the pictures below of both.

SATA Cable 

SATA Power cable

Hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the rapid reply. Excellent image as it is the correct wire. My inquiry remains. Where does this wire plug in to? (Both ends) And the other wire out of CD/DVD player. Where does it plug in to? Look forward to your reply. HP Pavilion 500-164 Desktop.

GDimesWorth
HP Recommended

HI@DimesWorth,

Need to connect to Sata port on the motherboard and the other to the SMPS 

Please find the document blue print on the mother board link

HP Recommended

Thank you.

GDimesWorth
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.