Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Why are the tags only offerring me WIndows 11? I suspect someone will move this but I thought I chose Windows 10

I have this Pavilion 23 All-In-One upright "desktop" which according to HP is built on laptop archetecture, but it sits on the desk and you do not cradle it anywhere else. It's staionery. AND, it's old, but I keep it tuned and it runs well I don't care what anyone says. 🤣 I have a problem throwing away. I still have a HP XP Desktop which I keep saying I'm going to fire up and kick the tires and see if they explode. I also have several other newer devices but I love the large screen on this 23-AIO. 

But I've always been annoyed by the fan. It sometimes is silent, like now, but then frequently it goes to screaming!!!  I know, it's being correctly "adaptive" ... but couldn't I just find a way to keep it at a relatively moderate speed. It sounds like it's taking off at times. Even Windows Mystify Screensaver makes it scream? It's unearthly!! I have been into the power settings and change some suggestions there something from active to passive. No change I could see. 

I went into the BIOS, Found THERMAL, but after highlighting it the arrow keys didn't seem to do anything. Is there a program I could install? I don't think this is CoolSense compatible. SmartSense or whatever it's called. 

I'd sure like to get it at a moderate speed, watch the temperature for danger than this up and down and up and down. AND it's noisy!!

Thanks much for any help on this old timer.   jackdashack ":-Dx

I ALWAYS KUDO AND MARKED SOLVED. IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO ... doncha know. ":-D
Look for the thumbs up and click for a KUDO
Look to the right and see OPTIONS to mark ACCEPT AS SOLUTION. Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It's possible that the PC needs the insides cleaned out with compressed air the fan/heatsink gets clogged with dust over time, no matter how clean you keep your workspace.

It is also possible that the heatsink needs to be removed, cleaned and new thermal paste applied to the contact surfaces of the heat sink and processor.

There is a software program you can try and see if it works on your PC...the HP command center app which you can get from the Microsoft store.  It has thermal profiles you can set if it works on your PC.

Get HP Command Center - Microsoft Store

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

It's possible that the PC needs the insides cleaned out with compressed air the fan/heatsink gets clogged with dust over time, no matter how clean you keep your workspace.

It is also possible that the heatsink needs to be removed, cleaned and new thermal paste applied to the contact surfaces of the heat sink and processor.

There is a software program you can try and see if it works on your PC...the HP command center app which you can get from the Microsoft store.  It has thermal profiles you can set if it works on your PC.

Get HP Command Center - Microsoft Store

HP Recommended

Thank you for that instruction I'm sure it's well worthy. I typed this post a couple times I thought the first time I posted that it's been like this since it was new maybe I forgot to the second time I posted it but yeah it's not something that's developed just recently it's like I said it's been present almost from when it was new. Your advice is great but highly technical I doubt that I will get in there and do all that that could be done. Thanks again!!

I ALWAYS KUDO AND MARKED SOLVED. IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO ... doncha know. ":-D
Look for the thumbs up and click for a KUDO
Look to the right and see OPTIONS to mark ACCEPT AS SOLUTION. Thanks!
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Thank again. Just wanted to report that I first loaded this on my HP Compaq Pro 630 SSF and all it shows is the product? Won't fill in the rest of the information. Also not seeing how to change anything. It seems to be just an informational program. ty in any case.  ":-Dx

I tried writing my signature in this box on the screen but it doesn't seem to work? :v lol
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.