Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I just purchased a HP Pro 6300 Microtower, and I was looking to upgrade the RAM. The current configuration is 4 sticks of 2GB. I'd like to increase the RAM to at least 12GB. I purchased 2 sticks of 4GB DDR3L-1600 PC3L-12800 CL11 Dual Channel RAM - which, according to the documentation I could find regarding the memory, seemed compatible.

When I opened the case to install the RAM, I noted that there were 4 slots - 2 black and two white. The slot closest to the CPU was white, next black, then white again, then black. According to the online specs (linked below) - there should only be one "black" RAM slot, with the other three being white.

I tried installing the 4GB RAM in the white slots, but the system would not boot properly (an error message would display at bot stating there was a 'kernel error'). I then tried installing the 4GB sticks in the black slots, but the computer would display other errors on boot.

When I accessed the BIOS - regardless of what configuration I inserted the RAM in, it would always show the following:
Channel 1: 6GB RAM

Channel 2: 6GB RAM.

I'd like to increase the RAM to at least 12GB (for now),  if that's possible: I would assume that, since the existing RAM is Dual Channel, and the new RAM is as well, it should work - but it doesn't.

If that's not the correct RAM, could someone point me in the direction of what RAM *will* work?
Also, could someone confirm which slots the larger sticks should be installed to?

Thanks in advance.

RAM Specs:

Neo Forza 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 PC3L-12800 CL11 Dual Channel Desktop Memory

Memory Type
DDR3
Pin Configuration
240-pin
Memory Speed
PC3L-12800
Memory Speed (MHz)
DDR3L-1600
Memory Capacity
8GB (2 x 4GB)
Memory Channels
Dual
Number of Modules
Voltage
1.35V
CAS Latency
Memory Latency Timings
11-11-11
Non-ECC
Unbuffered

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@tracer03 wrote:

... According to the online specs (linked below) - there should only be one "black" RAM slot, with the other three being white.

@tracer03 

No, should be 2 different colors and 2 each that means 2 black slots and 2 white slots for dual channels. You have to install equally each pair. In your case should be one pair 2GB each and one pair 4GB each.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

>  Channel 1: 6GB RAM

>  Channel 2: 6GB RAM.

I think that you want 8GB 8GB in Channel 1, and 4GB in Channel 2.

Try putting the two 4GB sticks into the black slots. 

Do you get 8GB and 0GB, or 4GB and 4GB ?

If the latter, move one of the sticks, to try to get to 8GB and 0GB.

Then, add the two 2GB sticks.

HP Recommended

I tried this morning, just using the 2 - 4gB sticks (pulled the 4 - 2gB sticks for the experiment).

The results:

2 x 4 - white slots, empty black slots: - 'Page fault in non-paged area' message.

2 x 4 - black slots, empty white slots: - "Kernel Security check failure' message

2 x 4 - slots closest to the CPU: - 'Page fault in non-paged area' message.

2 x 4 - slots furthest from the CPU: - 'Page fault in non-paged area' message.

Re-installed the 4 - 2gB sticks, and it boots without issue. I'd really like to get the RAM increased (bought this to use as a music recording computer, so I need more RAM to run plugins) - any other suggestions?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

DDR3L is LOW POWER ram, and most systems will not allow you to mix low power and std ram sticks in a ram bank/or sometimes the entire  motherboard

DDR3l is a dual voltage memory that supports both 1.35 V and 1.5 V, while DDR3 supports only 1.5 V

go to crucial.com and buy ram from them the ram selector will ask for computer system/specs and then show only compatible ram

HP Recommended

>  I tried this morning, just using the 2 - 4gB sticks (pulled the 4 - 2gB sticks for the experiment).

> The results:

> 2 x 4 - white slots, empty black slots: - 'Page fault in non-paged area' message.

> 2 x 4 - black slots, empty white slots: - "Kernel Security check failure' message

> 2 x 4 - slots closest to the CPU: - 'Page fault in non-paged area' message.

> 2 x 4 - slots furthest from the CPU: - 'Page fault in non-paged area' message.

It is possible that one of two sticks is "BAD".

Could you try with just ONE of the 4GB sticks connected? Record the result, good or bad.

Remove that stick, insert the other 4GB stick into the same slot, and try. Record the result, good or bad.

With either 1 or 2 sticks connected, there should not be any "conflict" between DDR3 and DDR3L specifications. 

But, I agree with the Other Person -- the RAM could be incompatible with your motherboard. Can you return the sticks, and purchase the correct sticks, as per that CRUCIAL.COM web-site ?

HP Recommended

the 6300 pro can not use high density memory chips due to this i recommend you buy ram from crucial to guarantee compatibility

memory channel one is the  black/white slots furthest away from the cpu socket

from my previous post on the 6300 (you really should try using the forums "SEARCH" feature before posting..........

from the service manual: note the ram requirements on page 17

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03348601.

The memory sockets on the system board can be populated with up to four industry-standard DIMMs.
These memory sockets are populated with at least one preinstalled DIMM. To achieve the maximum
memory support, you can populate the system board with up to 16-GB of memory configured in a
high-performing dual channel mode.

DDR3-SDRAM DIMMs
CAUTION: This product DOES NOT support DDR3 Ultra Low Voltage (DDR3U) memory. The
processor is not compatible with DDR3U memory and if you plug DDR3U memory into the system
board, it can cause the physical damage to the DIMM or invoke system malfunction.
For proper system operation, the DDR3-SDRAM DIMMs must be:

● industry-standard 240-pin
● unbuffered non-ECC PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 MHz-compliant
● 1.5 volt DDR3-SDRAM DIMMs

The DDR3-SDRAM DIMMs must also:
● support CAS latency 11 DDR3 1600 MHz (11-11-11 timing)
● contain the mandatory JEDEC SPD information

In addition, the computer supports:
● 512-Mbit, 1-Gbit, and 2-Gbit non-ECC memory technologies
● single-sided and double-sided DIMMs
● DIMMs constructed with x8 and x16 DDR devices;  DIMMs constructed with x4 SDRAM are not supported

NOTE: The system will not operate properly if you install unsupported DIMMs.

Populating DIMM Sockets
There are four DIMM sockets on the system board, with two sockets per channel. The sockets are
labeled DIMM1, DIMM2, DIMM3, and DIMM4. Sockets DIMM1 and DIMM2 operate in memory
channel B. Sockets DIMM3 and DIMM4 operate in memory channel A.

note the   DIMMs constructed with x4 SDRAM are not supported 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.