Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to buy the Intel I3 10100 as it is a pretty big upgrade from my I5 7400 especially for the price, but to do this I need to replace my motherboard as my current one, the Odense2-K, is not compatible. A friend of mine recommended me this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-B460M-DS3H-LGA1200-Motherboard/dp/B088PCN95D/ref=asc_df_B088PCN95D

Would this processor fit in my PC? If not are there any that are compatible with the I3 10100 that will? Or should I look for a different CPU altogether?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

When you replace the motherboard you no longer have a HP PC. You will probably have to buy a new Windows product key.

HP uses uATX motherboards (MB). The MB in your link looks like an ATX MB. It will not fit in the HP chassis.

Regards

HP Recommended

I need help finding a new motherboard that can fit my case, as my current CPU, the i5-7400, needs an upgrade and the only substantial upgrade I can get with my current motherboard, the Odense2-K, is the i7-7700 which has become very expensive for its overall performance. Are there any motherboards I can get that would work with something like an i3 10100 for example without having to get a new case?

HP Recommended

Are you sure it will not fit? I thought MicroATX and uATX meant the same thing. If it does not fit, can you recommend any that will?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The Gigabyte MB in your link is a uATX MB (Link). Sorry about that. So it may work with your chassis.

Sorry, I don't recommend using third party MBs in HP cases. There can be potential compatibility issues (Front panel connections or MB standoff placement) which may deviate from industry standards. This depends on the chassis specifications for your product .

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello
frankly, make the share of things!
The original case is "cute" but it stops there ..
It is not very bulky, and not made for the evolution of components
Hp motherboards are of a particular format, and often have connection problems for other motherboards.
find another box, will allow you to place any motherboard of different format!
Many boxes are for different formats, and you have them at all prices
you can then easily change graphics card, power supply etc.
Up to you !

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

hi

please do not open multiple threads

New Motherboard for HP Omen

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.