Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
Hp Compaq Pro 6300 sff
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just wanted to upgrade my old hp Compaq pro 6300 sff into a sort of gaming pc. I don’t know if the Rx 6400 low profile is compatible with the motherboard or if the psu can handle the gpu’s 53 watts tdp. If it is not compatible then recommending a good gpu would be very helpful. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

It should work fine.

AMD Radeon RX 6400 Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

The 240 W power supply your PC has is close enough to the minimum recommended P/S, so I don't believe that would be an issue.

This user benchmarking site has reports of over 3,000 HP 6300 Pro SFF configurations.

I see one report with the RX 6400 on the second page.

UserBenchmark: HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF Compatible Components

HP Recommended

Hey thanks so much for the reply. I am now wondering if the gtx 750ti low profile would work with this same pc. And would 32gb of ram be using too much wattage if paired with the gtx 750ti?  Thanks again for the reply, you seem knowledgeable about this topic so an answer to this new question would be much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hey thanks so much for the reply. I am now wondering if the gtx 750ti low profile would work with this same pc. And would 32gb of ram be using too much wattage if paired with the gtx 750ti?  Thanks again for the reply, you seem knowledgeable about this topic so an answer to this new question would be much appreciated.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Below is the link to the GTX 750ti

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

I don't believe the extra 7W power draw would make that much of a difference.

The GTX 750ti seems to have slightly better performance than the RX6400.

UserBenchmark: AMD RX 6400 vs Nvidia GTX 750

I don't know how much of a difference that would make with 4 x 8 GB of memory.

When you look at that list of over 3,000 PC's it seems that some have higher wattage graphics cards than either of the ones you are interested in, although some folks may have upgraded the power supply somehow and I couldn't help you with upgrading the power supply because they are proprietary and may require special adapters and connectors.

You will probably be pushing the limit with a 240W P/S though.

HP Recommended

ok thanks again! Do you know any good psu upgrade options with 350 watts or higher?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, as I posted yesterday, I won't be able to help you with upgrading the power supply because it is not a simple remove and replace operation.

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks for the info!

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

I recommend that you start a new discussion on upgrading the power supply. 

There's at least one other person who may be able to help you with that. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.