Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, so i recently pick up this computer. I got it for a good deal. When I bought it I had the guy put a 480gb Toshiba SSD in it, that made it much faster, however I would like it to be even faster. I would like to upgrade the RAM and put a better processsor in it. How do I find comaptible parts? I don't know much about building computers, just general knowledge. I mainly surf the web, don't really play games, but I want this thing lightning fast! Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CameronFrazier, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Illustrated Parts and Service Map for the computer.  On Page 1 it lists the type and maximum memory the computer can use and on Page 2 it lists the processors that are compatible with it.  I don't know which processor that you have, but the Q9650, Intel Core2 Quad processor may be the best upgrade.  Also, here is the memory that is recommended for the computer by Crucial Memory.  The maximum memory is 16 GB.  You should read all of the information on the page to assure that you know what they recommend.  It is always best to install matched pairs of memory for increased performance.

One caveat, it is very difficult to know how much the performance will be increased by these upgrades.  One person's lightening speed may not be another person's.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@CameronFrazier,

What you have is a circa 2010 Business class machine.  The guides below will explain the internals, the max ram 16GB (four 4GB modules).

Some reading for you.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01865755

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01865757

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4023814&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@CameronFrazier, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Illustrated Parts and Service Map for the computer.  On Page 1 it lists the type and maximum memory the computer can use and on Page 2 it lists the processors that are compatible with it.  I don't know which processor that you have, but the Q9650, Intel Core2 Quad processor may be the best upgrade.  Also, here is the memory that is recommended for the computer by Crucial Memory.  The maximum memory is 16 GB.  You should read all of the information on the page to assure that you know what they recommend.  It is always best to install matched pairs of memory for increased performance.

One caveat, it is very difficult to know how much the performance will be increased by these upgrades.  One person's lightening speed may not be another person's.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
Awesome, thank you guys so much! I have the Pentium Dual-core E5300 @2.60GHz, do you think the one you recommended will be a good upgrade? Thank you for the help.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @CameronFrazier.

Personally, I never upgrade the processor unless I can come close to doubling the speed.  However, in this instance, when you upgrade from a Dual core (2 cores) to a Quad core (4 cores) it will definitly be far better at multi-tasking.  Just remember one thing, speed is in the eye of the beholder.  Also, the performance increase after an upgrade is dependent on all of the other components.  The chain is only as strong as its weakest link!

HP Recommended

@old_geekster

Sorry one more question is the "Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Processor (3.0-GHz, 12MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB)" the absoulute best processor I can buy for this? Thank you

HP Recommended

@CameronFrazier, as far as I know it is the best of the processors that have been tested to assure that they will be compatible with the motherboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.