Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
705 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello. According to the HP Quick Specs sheet for the 705 G1 SFF one of the PCI e x16 slots has a 10w max power capacity, I don't fully understand how these slots work (especially with budget gamers plugging GTX 1060's into 6000 and 8200 models and such), if I have a v2.0 graphics card that exceeds the 10w amount (which I can about guarantee you it will) is it using the reserved 75w max from the other PCI e x16 slot? And is it possible to have a quad core with two of the same model PCI e x16 cards running?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Look under POWER.  It will explain the power limitations for 1x, 4x, 16x.

Even with that in mind, you will consistently find that graphics card manufacturer take a very conservative approach when stating the minimum recommend wattage size for power supplies.  There are just too many unknowns such as PC hardware provisioning, application loading, age of PC, power supply efficiency, ambient room temperature and the list goes on and on.  Additionally, HP and other manufacturers will limit power draw on a PCI-e slot is meet design considerations.  Standards are not always followed when designing a PC for specific purposes.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Look under POWER.  It will explain the power limitations for 1x, 4x, 16x.

Even with that in mind, you will consistently find that graphics card manufacturer take a very conservative approach when stating the minimum recommend wattage size for power supplies.  There are just too many unknowns such as PC hardware provisioning, application loading, age of PC, power supply efficiency, ambient room temperature and the list goes on and on.  Additionally, HP and other manufacturers will limit power draw on a PCI-e slot is meet design considerations.  Standards are not always followed when designing a PC for specific purposes.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.