Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 590
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a few month old Pavilion 590-p0.  It came with Intel Optane memory,  Ever since new the box has been throwing critical errors due to corrupted files.  These errors are always associated with MS Store files and occur when waking from sleep.  I would like to disable Optane to see if things calm down. 

I tried tech support and they suggested I'd find Intel RST in the BIOS and tried to step me through, but my BIOS doesn't have the option as far as I could tell.

I could write the errors off as just another MS muck up, but if I ever want to install an SSD or a larger HD, I need to be able to disable the Optane.

How does one go about disabling Optane on this unit?

Thanks for help,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

i've looked at the hp specs for this model, and nowhere does hp state that optane is a available option.

would this be a  Costco or some other retail store's product, rather than a system bought direct from HP? 

the HP 590-p0086 shows built-in Optane memory where the 590-p0057c does not list this feature.

both models use the exact same motherboard/case

the base 590-p0057c system comes with  a 256GB NVME SSD in the M.2 slot and 16GB ram, i'm wondering if the optine module is being counted as part of total system ram rather than being listed seperate how much ram do you have? please list the number of memory modules and the part number printed on them (what size is the optane module?)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05999904

the 590-p0086 comes with 8GB ram and a 16GB xpoint (optane) device in the M.2 slot and a 1TB mech HD

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06038766

the latest HP listed RST driver is version 16.5.5.1040  and is the one which should be installed, check device manager for a previous ver and if it exists uninstall it before installing this one doing it this way prevents errors

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Dan590,

You asked for this, so here is how to disable Intel Optane.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You should be able to disable Optane using the IRST interface found in Control Panel, IRST. Check the Windows "Start Menu" if IRST is not present in Control Panel.

Instructions to do this can be reviewed at this Intel PDF document (Link).

Refer to:

2.1.4 Disable Optane in the Optane Memory UI, or

2.2.2 Disable Optane using Legacy UI.

HP may have modified this process. HP may be the only one to help if you cannot disable Optane Memory using the Intel method.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi wb2001,

Sorry about that.

Did not see your response.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz,

Ouch !

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your replies.  I can not find Intel RST in my BIOS or control panel or start menu or via Cortana.  I was hesitant to install RST because I thought it might be in the firmware as the documentation describes, but the BIOS doesn't have the hooks to access it.  Against my better judgement I installed RST anyway.  I checked event viewer and saw many errors.  I immediately uninstalled it.

According to everything I've read, RST should already be installed.  I have built all my machines for the last 20 years and never had a problem like this where I don't know what I have.

I really need more info before I risk installing RST again.

Thanks for help,

Dan

HP Recommended

Hi Dan,

You're very welcome.

It is my understanding Optane can be enabled or disabled within the operating system using the Intel RST UI.

I have worked on Dell, HP, Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, and MSI system boards that are Optane ready. I have not seen BIOS settings to enable or disable Optane.

The BIOS must be UEFI which will support GPT (you have this). Carefully read the Optane Memory Installation Guide in my first response.

HP would have to install Intel RST operating system software if you have Optane memory.

Not a big fan of Optane. Just another caching disk. Only useful if you rely on a Legacy, platter HDD for storage.

I prefer M.2 NVME drives for boot and storage functions. The M.2 NVME drives use the same MB interface. NVME drive cost per GB is much cheaper than Optane and makes for a very fast system. 

You can use the M.2 socket on your MB with any NVME drive available at retail.

The fuzzy part in changing from Optane to NVME is if you must disable Optane in IRST? I would say yes to this question. Not disabling Optane in IRST could cause OS problems when installing an NVME drive in the M.2 socket.

I don't know. Have never been in your situation. I don't recommend Optane when you can use NVME devices. I don't build systems with Optane memory.

Regards

HP Recommended

HP has a precedure here under FAQS which says to use RST to disable Optane, then go to BIOS to set it to not use the Optane.

RST was not part of my HP install.  I can't find option related to Optane in BIOS.

If I look at the HP support page for the 590 here and I find RST.  Also a BIOS upgrade (from 11 to 15) and A firmware upgrade for Intel ME.  I run HP Support Assistant which has downloaded updates, but doesn't seem to be accessing the same level as the HP support page.

Confusion.

Can you recommend a path into HP support where I might find someone who knows what's going on?  I would normally go ahead and load the new BIOS, firmware and drivers, but I just dont know how 'unique' this BOX is.  Purchased from Costco.

Dan

Dan

HP Recommended

Hi Dan590,

I read the HP BIOS Optane settings in your links. I have not messed with Optane. I see no Optane BIOS settings on systems I have recently built. My newly built systems use the latest Intel chipsets and the latest BIOSes.

I don't recommend Optane.

Optane can be toggled on or off using IRST.

Your PC may have other issues.

I don't know what else to tell you.

Talk to HP about this.

Regards

HP Recommended

you have what intel terms "SRT" using it's "RST" driver package SRT is a subset of RST

and HP has it listed in the bios as  Raid-0 which it is not, SRT is actually a driver that simply caches the most commonly used data to a solid state cache module, and modifies the Os to read/write using said data using the cach to speed up the system

please recheck your Bios, the setting to enable/disable caching is there or it will be in the intel RST control panel application

the link below may help

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/Technical_Review_SRT.pdf

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.