Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, i currently have 2 Sata hard drives installed on my HPZ400 but would like to add 2 more. I read somewhere that it can support up to 4 but not sure how to go about installing the additional 2.

Is there a guide available on what do i need to install additional hard drives ? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Okay, i think i figured out the connections. 

The only i need to now find is a hard drive caddy which will fit the hpz400 enclosure.

HP Recommended

@icestorm81 -- does your motherboard look somewhat like this one:

pe_features_superior_01.png (280×280) (in-win.com)

which has many "drive bays" ? Each "bay" holds either one 5.25-inch-wide CD/DVD, or one 3.5-inch-wide SATA Desktop Disk-Drive.

You'll need several power-leads from your computer's power-supply -- one to each CD/DVD or HDD.

You'll need "data" cables to connect each device to a socket on the motherboard.

You'll need a motherboard that has the required number of sockets -- one for each SATA cable.

You'll need some short machine-screws, to hold the sides of the disk-drive into a drive-bay.

It would be beneficial to add one "case-fan", to push more hot-air out of the case, into the room, because each disk-drive generates some heat.

There are many YouTube videos about "disassemble desktop computer" that show the insides of the case, and how to remove/replace the CD/DVD and/or the disk-drive(s).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.