Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Pro 4300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I replaced the HDD in my HP Compaq Pro 4300 SFF with a Samsung 850 Evo SSD, attached to SATA-0 port on the motherboard. I've updated the BIOS to 8.15, enabled AHCI, prepared drive as GPT and installed a fresh Windows 10 64-bit. However, Samsung Magician states it's working on SATA 3.0 Gb/s (speeds are around 250 Gb/s); drive is .

How can I get my drive recognized as SATA 3 (6.0 Gb/s) to get the full speed of my SSD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The HP specs are incorrect.

The H61 chipset only has SATA II controllers.

I have the Q67 express chipset in my HP business desktop (8200 Elite) and sata port 0 is SATA III.

When you connect the drive to the port, the configuration is automatic.

I have zipped up and attached a utility that will tell you the speed of your sata port below.

You will find it to report a sata 6.0 drive running at 3.0 GBPS.

It is what it is.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Intel H61 chipset your PC has only has SATA II ports.

http://www.jagatreview.com/2011/03/intel-h61-chipset-review-almost-all-the-features-for-less/

HP Recommended

Hi Paul. Thank you for your quick response. However, HP specifies my PC does have SATA3: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03404004#N11211

Hard drive controller
  • Serial ATA (SATA) 3.0

• Supports up to 6.0 Gb/s

My PC has an i3-3220 CPU and in the BIOS I'm able to select AHCI.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The HP specs are incorrect.

The H61 chipset only has SATA II controllers.

I have the Q67 express chipset in my HP business desktop (8200 Elite) and sata port 0 is SATA III.

When you connect the drive to the port, the configuration is automatic.

I have zipped up and attached a utility that will tell you the speed of your sata port below.

You will find it to report a sata 6.0 drive running at 3.0 GBPS.

It is what it is.

HP Recommended

Thank you again. I'm afraid your right :indifferent:

Shame on HP. I bought this PC based on their Specifications, clearly stating the Hard drive controller is Serial ATA (SATA) 3.0 and Supports up to 6.0 Gb/s. I always considered HP a reliable company. I guess I was wrong............

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, every Intel series 6 chipset except the H61 has SATA III controllers.

I was very surprised myself when I found that out a couple of years ago.

Intel has recently redesigned their website, and they used to have some nice diagrams of chipset specs, and I remember seeing the H61 had SATA II controllers and I was very surprised by that.

I would have assumed, and told everyone that yes, the controller was SATA III, and I would have been quite wrong.

So, whoever at HP that released those specs on your PC, made an error.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.