Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP wireless keyboard that came with my new system. I need to be able to access the function keys quickly, so by default rather than having the system actions there (e.g. volume, brightness, etc.). I searched this forum to no avail. Many old posts talk about going into the BIOS to configure this, but my BIOS screens look different and do not have the option they describe.

I am hoping there's an on-keyboard or Windows 10 setting I'm not seeing ... otherwise, it's ridiculous for HP to have had people complaining about this type of thing for many years and not to have done anything about it.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Ja__

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you want to disable the Fn keys on your notebook. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

There is no option to disable the function key from Windows.

However, you can disable it from the BIOS screen.

Follow the below steps to disable it:

To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps.

1. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

2. Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window. (On newer computers, you need to hold down the "esc" key. Then you can opt to go into the BIOS settings.)

3. Use the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

4. Use the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the "enter" key to display the Enable / Disable menu.

5. Select the desired mode:Disabled: You still have the ability to use all those neat shortcut features like ejecting discs, toggling the WiFi and so on with the f1 through f12 keys. Now, in order to use them, you need to hold down the "fn" button to activate the shortcut feature. For exmple, if Disabled , pressing fn + f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the key on this model PC. Alternatively, pressing f11 only will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.

6. Press f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

7. The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time by going back into the BIOS.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Next-Bench-Blog/HOW-TO-Disable-The-Fn-Function-on-HP-Laptops/ba-p/7...

If this helps, please mark the post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same public post a Kudos for my efforts to help.
Take care and have a blessed week ahead.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, sandytech20. (I was traveling the last few days and just got around to seeing this.) I suspect you did not read my note closely enough. My BIOS is different than what you describe, and it does NOT have that option. I had already searched around and found that before I posted. Also for reference, I have an all-in-one whereas the article you shared is a Laptop article.  😞  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@Ja__

It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service (Like a Genie without magic powers) 😉 

I reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what I recommend:

Pardon my colleague as function keys usage are usually associated with laptops and that might have misled him, no worries, though as I have a few steps that should help your cause:

Updating the keyboard & other software on your device can fix a variety of keyboard issues.
For more information about downloading keyboard software, go to hp website using this link: https://hp.care/2B3MVQS

And about the BIOS options being different, perhaps you can share a screenshot of your BIOS so that we know what you are looking at and help you accordingly, to attach the image to forums, use the instructions on this post: https://hp.care/2LtWbPL

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle,

Hmm ... those Web links do not resolve for me. I tried with a couple browsers. Can you double check them? Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Ja__,

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I see from the post that you are having issues accessing the web links, don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

The link to download the drivers, click here

Here's a HP Forums post for the instructions on how to attach an image: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Windows-10-Hardware-Reserved-M...

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet_Singh .... you post is very confusing. It appears to have nothing to do with my question or need.

I'm not looking to donwload any drivers.  (?????)

I'm not looking to attach any images. (????)

HP Recommended

@Ja__,

As I see from the post that you need assistance with the drivers. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this.

Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Could you please respond to this post with the details of the product so that I can provide you with the accurate link or steps which should help you resolve this issue.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is an HP ENVY All-in-One 27-b2XX, Product #: 2QT45AV

HP Recommended

@Ja__,

Thanks for getting back to us with the product details.

Could you also help us with the screenshot of the Bios as this will help us understand what version of Bios is installed on the PC.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.