Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a very old desktop, the HP Z800. It was working fine until one day it shows this screen when boot-up.

"Non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready"

So I use a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive to reinstall the operating. However, I couldn't install the OS. It keeps showing this message.

createPartition.png

I have tried creating 5GB partition on the internal disk and copy all the files from the Windows 10 bootable USB flash to this drive and boot from the internal drive to reinstall the OS but I still got the same error, "Non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready."

Looking carefully at the boot-up screen, I noticed it shows this error.

SAS-DiscoveryError.png

Does this error has anything to do with the issue I'm facing? In the BIOS this is what I see.

storageOptions.pngDeviceConfig.png

Any help is much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Considering that the Z800 is fourteen years old, I am not surprised that it is behaving strangely.

The HDD may not have any more service life left.

Try a newer SATA HDD in its place to see if it is recognized as being present.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The hard drive I'm using is a SanDisk SSD PLUS 1TB Internal SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s I purchased in 2019. I don't think the issue is the hard drive. I was able to go into the Diskpart in command prompt, format, partition, and assign by following instruction. However, when it boots up, I keep getting the non-system disk error.

HP Recommended

That would lead me to think that the boot flag is not present on the SSD.

You can check that in DiskPart using the list volume command.

I see in the BIOS error it warns that AHCI BIOS is not installed.
That may be part of the issue as the  HP Z800 is a workstation and not a normal desktop PC.

See this older thread
 https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z800-with-SSD/t...

More information at the link below

https://www.greenpcgamers.com/hp/hp-models/hp-z800-gaming-computer-and-other-hardware-upgrades/

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.