Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 690-0034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion Gaming PC model #690-0034. The FN key is auto enabled and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off so it functions properly. Many games use the F keys, so I now have to press the FN and F key to use it for gaming functions. Essentially the keyboard works in reverse. FN is enabled when the button is not pushed and disabled when it is pressed. I would like the keyboard and computer to function normally. How can this be fixed?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Landman507,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand that you would like to disable to Fn key so that you can use F keys without holding the Fn key.
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you with your HP Envy All-In-One 27-b1XX.

You can disable or enable the Fn key functionality using the BIOS utility.

To disable or enable the function key (fn) in the BIOS follow the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.
  • Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

• Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the Enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  • Select the desired mode:
  • Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled, pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11 keys will mute the sound.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Enabled: Requires pressing only one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action as indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Enabled, pressing f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the action key. Alternatively, pressing and holding fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

• The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

If the issue persists I recommend trying with a different keyboard.

Hope this answers your question.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Jeet_singh - Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, my computer does not offer that option. As you can see, my computer does not offer a system configuration option or the ability to change action key modes under any of the headings. The closest option is the Advanced setting which allows you to turn off num locks, but not the FM key. It looks like HP offers the setting configuation option in laptops, but not desktops. Very odd considering this is a gaming desktop and you need the F keys for games.

20181225_181257.jpg

HP Recommended

@Landman507

Thanks for getting back to us. Appreciate you trying the steps. 

I'm afraid, this is by design and the computer does not have the action key mode feature. You must first press the Fn key to perform the secondary action of a function key - the action of the printed symbol on the key. 

Additional software is required to change the behavior of keyboard keys in Windows. There are several free software apps for changing the behavior of keys; such as Sharpkeys, MapKeyboard, KeyTweak, Microsoft's Keyboard Layout Creator, and others. Search the Internet for the name of one of these software applications or "keyboard mapping software" to find and learn more.

NOTE: The Fn key is a special key controlled by hardware. It cannot be remapped using the software.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Asmita6658 - Thanks for the reply. However, I am not sure how the solution you propose helps since the FN can't be remapped using the software you recommend. 

I was, however, able to figure out a solution on my own. I purchased a new keyboard that does not have the FN key. Everything now functions as intended when playing games.

Please provide feedback to whoever designed this system, that customers should not have to buy a new keyboard in order to play games on a gaming computer. It defeats the putpose. I don't mind thatthe FN key was auto-enable. I do mind that HP enabled that feature with no way to turn it off. That is a big miss in my opinion.

Thanks again for attempting to help.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply but as stated by OP this is really ridiculous. Solutions provided are mostly bios-based and related to laptops and books. We just bought an HP Pavilion 690-0013ns desktop PC and it indeed has no Fn key toggle on bios. Buying a new keyboard or using third-party hacks should never be the professional soultion. Please let us know if there's a bios or software update in the works to switch this undersided default behaviour. Having to press Fn to just reload a webpage is just annoying...

HP Recommended

CaVaYeRO,

I agree this is an HP defect that they should solve. HP needs to provide a BIOS update that allows users to control this feature immediately.

However, my decision to purchase a new keyboard was due to a lack of faith in HP fixing this issue anytime soon and my desire to use a gaming desktop for that purpose. I hope HP fixes this defect, but I wouldn't hold your breath. No one, including me, should have to purchase a keyboard to fix a defect in their hardware. When your clients have to identify your defect and figure out a solution for you, that does not make HP look very good.

Best of luck,

Landman507

HP Recommended

@Landman507, @CaVaYeRo,

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I see that you still have a concern related to HP Product. 

I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

Keep me posted,

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just purchased a Pavilion All-in-one.   I want to turn off the FN auto-activiate but am not able to use the same BIOS fix that I could with my HP laptop.   This is very frustrating and a total bust IMO.  If there is a solution, please let me know.  I can't beleive how incredibly complicated HP makes this...

I am a frequent excel user and not being to before extremely common keystroke in excel on this keyboard makes me want to throw it out the window

HP Recommended

TDH_Brooklyn - I had the same issue and the only way to resolve it was to buy a keyboard without an FN key. Then everything worked perfectly.

HP had no solution for my desktop and I elevated it to their engineers. They simply said, that is the way the desktop was built and there is no way to change it. I found it odd that they gave laptop users the option to turn it off in the bios, but desktop users are out of luck. Good luck with your issue. As I stated, the only option I have found that worked is replacing the keyboard with one that does not have an FN key.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.