Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 8300 elite
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hello everyone.
I own an HP 8300 elite i5 3200.
I tried to install a Zotac nvidia gt730 4gb video card in the pcie16x slot of the pc.
The card is recognized and works, but in the specifications of the bus it is recognized as pciex8 gen2.

How can I enable pciex16 functionality?

I tried all the suggestions given in the forum about it:

pci #serr disable
security device enable.

But I can't enable pciex16 functionality.

I thank you for your help.

Paolo

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, Paolo:

My report indicates the same thing with the same card in an HP 8200 Elite CMT.

Video Bus:  PCIe v2.0 x8 (5.0 GT/s) @ x8 (2.5 GT/s)

So, I would have to conclude that the report is wrong, or we don't know how to interpret it.

Because two different PC's with the same card reporting the same result can't be that there is something wrong with the PC's.

I wouldn't worry about it, because there isn't a thing you can do about it.

And yes, I have my card installed in the black PCIe x16 slot too.

I have zipped up and attached below the utility I used to generate the report...

One other thing I noticed was with the HWI report, the video memory reports 4 GB as it should.

But the Windows system information report indicates the video memory is only 1 GB.

And here is some more interesting info...

I have a Dell Optiplex 7020 PC with a 4th gen i5 processor and I installed an Evga nvidia 1030 GT 2 GB in the PC.

This is what the HWI report shows...

Video Bus: PCIe v3.0 x4 (8.0 GT/s) @ x4 (2.5 GT/s)

I have the exact same card in my other HP 8200 Elite, and this is what the HWI report indicates...

Video Bus: PCIe v2.0 x4 (5.0 GT/s) @ x4 (2.5 GT/s)

So, I have no clue how these reports are generated, but it is what it is...

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul for your reply. It could be the wrong report or we don't interpret it correctly, but I have upgraded the system from a gt710 pciex8 to a Gt730 pciex16 and I have the same performance. The bandwidth is identical, 12.4gb (reported by the nvidia interface).

The fact that the performances are identical also shows how the games run.

So it means that the GT730 actually goes to pciex8. Is it possible that there are incompatibilities between the x16 pcie slots? Thanks

HP Recommended

Do you have to suggest a pciex16 card that surely has the performance of a pciex16 with an HP8300? I chose the gt710 / 730 because they support 3 monitors. Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what card is truly a PCIe x16 card because I had always assumed if the card stated PCIe x16 that is what it was.

I only use my PC's for basic video streaming, internet surfing, and Microsoft Office apps.

The specs don't say how many of the PCIe x16 lanes are used by the card.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-730/specifications

HP Recommended

you can make sure of the reports by using AIDA64 software...and see what it reports on the GPU page...

you also have the option to put the videocard at work...and then refresh the report...

sometimes when nvidia gpu is idle or not working too hard...it uses the lowerest bus speed to conserve power..

in my case...my pci-ex 3.0 x16  in idle shows its a pci-ex 1,1 x8 ...and its gets to full speed when on load

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

Hello to all. Thanks for the answers.
I think I have corrected the problem.

The card in question is a Zotac gt730 4gb ddr3.
The specifications in Amazon are described as a PCI Express 2.0 x16. But in the specs on the official Zotac website, the card is described as a PCI Express 2.0 (x8 lanes).
So the card is actually a pcie8x and the system sees it correctly.

So, having ascertained that the problem was of the card that did not respect the specifications I was looking for, I switched to an nvidia gt1030 and this is from a pcie16x specification.

The performance of the bus is aligned with the specifications issued by nvidia, so the card works at its speed but ...
If you look at the details on the type of bus, pciex4 gen3 is reported: - /

The performance of the card is aligned with technical specifications and can also be seen in the performance of the games. At this point I believe that the nvidia software in which the features are specified does not give correct information.

HP Recommended

Thanks for confirming the GT 1030 gives you the same info that it gave me...PCIe x4.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.