Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Ultra-slim PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I want to upgrade my Hp cpu to a better processor, but the specs file is a little vague. It says it supports 2nd and 3rd generation processors up to core i2 and i3, but also i5 and i7. Does than mean I can use whatever i5 and i7 processor I can find or only i5/i7 2nd and 3rd generation? The later option severely restricts what I can do to upgrade my PC 

Also, how can I find exactly which processors my PC supports? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the HP Quickspecs for the model series:

HP Compaq Elite 8300 Business PC (2ndgear.com)

The supported processors are listed by form factor.

The best processor you can install in your PC would be the Intel® Core™ i7-3770S processor.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the HP Quickspecs for the model series:

HP Compaq Elite 8300 Business PC (2ndgear.com)

The supported processors are listed by form factor.

The best processor you can install in your PC would be the Intel® Core™ i7-3770S processor.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen,

Well, let's not forget the enthusiast's Xeon E3-1280 v2 and i7-3770K options.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

In the USDT?

I was under the impression the USDT only supported the low power Intel 3rd generation core processors.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen,

Yes indeed: the USDT!

Has been on my radar screen as an upgrade project:

NonSequitur777_1-1717794213800.png

Requires a power supply upgrade and perhaps a processor heatsink/air cooling upgrade, such as what I did for my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 DM: Solved: Upgrading an HP EliteDesk 800 65W G4 Desktop Mini (DM) - HP Support Community - 8708671.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

I think most folks want to stick with doing simple upgrades--especially when they don't live in the United States and parts are hard or expensive to find, or both.

In which case the i7-3770s would be the best processor one can install.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen,

Agreed.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.