Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavillion desktop. My processor overheated (plugged fan) and I had to replace it and the motherboard, also upgraded HDD and Ram at the time. Now HP and Microsoft no longer recognizes my computer for updates. What can be done?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BuzzCanuck , welcome to the forum.

Here is an article that will explain why you are not receiving updates for Win 7:  https://top10antivirus.review/blog/windows-7-is-dead-how-to-stay-safe

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I am just the messenger.  Your best option would be to buy a full version of Win 10 or use one of Linux family of operating systems, such as, Ubuntu.  You should definitely check to make certain that your computer meets the requirements for Win 10 before buying it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi Old-geekster, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Actually your suggestion was exactly what I planned on doing and actually did last night, now on latest & greatest win 10,        I shed a little tear saying goodbye to 7 last night my personal favorite.

However in getting ready to upgrade, I wanted to see if I could download the drivers I would need as it appears to be a consistent bit of advice that is given when looking at upgrading the O/S. However even when I log into my Microsoft acct or use my HP assistant program neither one of them automatically recognizes this computer to get the updates I was looking for. (I have no issues with these programs on other HP's in the household) I assume this is due to my processor overheating and I had to replace the processor and motherboard, so I guess its technically no longer an HP factory computer and I guess that's why these support programs are not saying its Buzz's computer anymore. I was hoping to somehow being able to register/enroll this repaired computer so HP and M/S account know what it is. Have a good one. Buzz

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @BuzzCanuck!

I know exactly how you feel about Win 7.  It was my all-time favorite, as well.  I have been using Windows since its beginnings.  However, I have been using Win 10 since its beginning, also.  I am not certain that I will ever have the same feelings toward it, but I do like it.  There is a learning curve, but once you get past it, it works great!  I know I could get into a debate with many on this subject.

Since I don't have the model or product number of your computer, I can't tell you for certain, but at one point HP tattooed the BIOS'es in their motherboards with the primary components of the computer.  This sounds like what is happening with your computer.  The model number is not being recognized because you changed the motherboard and major components.  If it works that is all that is important.  I prefer to use Window's Update.

Good luck!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.