Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq 6000 pro
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I have hp compaq 6000 pro small form factor pc that wont turn on.  I just found it off and now wont do anything.  I've tried holding power button and reconnecting it, tried cmos reset and battery change and tried replacing power supply, all to no avail.

What could it be?  Is it the motherboard, cpu or something else?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Jjdonohue1 , welcome to the forum.

Frankly, since the computer is 10 years old, it could be any of the components.  I would have suggested that you replace the power supply unit (PSU).  You replaced it.  You can test the memory by removing all of it and replacing it one stick at a time in slot #1.  This would be the slot closest to the processor.  Here is a good guide to help you troubleshoot the motherboard and processor (CPU).  If this doesn't help you will most likely have to find a qualified computer repair shop.  It may cost you more than the computer is worth, however.

Here is the Illustrated Parts and Service Map for the computer.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I really just want to get the data off the hard drive at this point but to do that I have to get it to start of course or perhaps swap the drive into another computer with the same parts.   I did try removing positions 3 and 4 of the memory to no avail but I havent tried all of them.  I did try to short the power button leads on the MB also but no luck. 

I will take a look at the mb guide.

HP Recommended

I did take a look at the mb guide but most of that assumed you at least have some power but I have nothing.  I'm thinking the mb or cpu is just dead.  So I was wondering if I could simply swap the hard drive into another computer of like specs.  Wouldnt that work?

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Jjdonohue1!

Yes, you can move the hard drive to another computer or do what I do.  I use an external USB enclosure with my Samsung EVO 860.  If you were running Win 10, you could even boot from the USB enclosure.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.