Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP z220 CMT
Other

I'm trying to add a hard drive to my z220 and I'm not having much luck.

The current SSD works fine, but when I put in my WD 8TB - WD80EDAZ I can't get past the initial screens.

I've updated the Bios to the latest version, tried it in multiple different sata data and sata power ports (without the 3.3v), and an H220 card which I think was probably the wrong choice on my part.

I can get to the

Intel Rapid Storage Tech

0 - 7.2tb Non-RAID Disk

1 - 7.2tb Non-RAID Disk

"CTRL+I" to configure, but it just hangs there. (with ctrl + shift + i)

If I don't add in a second disk, it just goes to a blank screen with a cursor blinking with a single WD hd in it.

(I can get the new hard drives to show in my gaming pc)

I don't know if I need a SAS9211 card?

Thank you for your help, 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

if the new ssd does not show in the bios (along with existing drives) then you will not be able to use it in windows

if this is the case you need to determine why the new ssd is not showing in the bios 

the Intel Rapid Storage Tech screen is for CREATING a raid array or ADDING  drive(s) to a existing array

make sure the chipset and RST drivers are installed

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z220-convertible-minitower-workstation/5260575

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04205252

the H220 card is available with different firmware "IT" = HBA card, just adds more SAS/SATA ports or "IR" Raid 0/1/10

there are at least two different chipset revisions/versions of this board.   Stepping C0 uses is an LSI 9205-8i (2008 chipset).  This is still a great card, but less desirable because it's only PCIe 2.0. 

Stepping D1 is an LSI 9207-8i (2308 chipset) and is the more desirable of the two because it is using PCIe 3.0.  

if using this card you require FORWARD breakout cabling for card to drive connections not REVERSE cables (google for details)

further posts should be posted in the workstation forum

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.