Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 400-334
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have upgraded my internet speed to 400, but my network card shows it only goes to 100.  How do I upgrade to a network card that will handle that type of speed.  My current card is Realtek pcle  FE family controller.  I need to know what part number to buy that will be compatible with my HP computer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The onboard  Realtek PCIe FE family controller cannot be upgraded as it is an integral part of the motherboard.

Nor can an internal ethernet adapter be installed as there are no expansion slots on that motherboard.

The easiest thing to do to speed up the ethernet connection would be to purchase an external USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter, and plug it into the PC's rear USB 3 port.

Something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keyw...

If you need more ports, they sell one that is both a gigabit ethernet adapter and a USB port hub...

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ethernet-Gigabit-Supporting/dp/B01J6583NK/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=...

HP Recommended

I installed the Amazon Basics gigabit USB. 3.0 ethernet adapter but it didn't speed up my internet at all. Any suggestions? New motherboard or computer?

HP Recommended

If you plugged it into a USB 3 port it should have.

Check the connection speed by going to the Windows control panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center.

In the first section of that window (View your active networks), on the right side click on your network connection.

The connection speed should report close to 1 GB/S, if not 1 GB/S.

You should also use a Cat 6 ethernet cable from your router to your cable modem and from your cable modem to your USB to RJ-45 ethernet adapter for best results.

If you aren't getting close to 1 GB/S then I recommend you get a new PC.

Changing motherboards brings a whole lot more issues than it is worth, such as buying a new licensed copy of W10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.