Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion gaming pc 690-0073w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My New Pavilion has 87 gbs of 237 on its SSD left and i'd like to add another 500gb-1tb SSD. I use it for gaming and right now I only have 2 games on it so far but would like to add more. I was hoping I could just buy another SSD and plug it inside without a lot of hassle, is this possible? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JDWillis 

Because of the very limited data headers (connectors for storage devices) mentioned by BH, your situation is not an add-on but a replacement.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@JDWillis 

Your machine only has   256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD now. It also has DVD writer (also called ODD: Optical Disc Drive).

Firstly please check  pages 8 & 9.:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05934592

There are 3 supported SATA drive headers. These headers are for a 2.5 SSD (with mount), the DVD drive, and the 3.5" hard drive. Therefore you can add 1 or 2 HDD/SSD to your machine.  (another connector is for the ODD).

>>>> hoping I could just buy another SSD and plug it inside without a lot of hassle, is this possible?

As mentioned above, that is possible.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I guess what I'm asking is can I buy this SSD-  Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8 , and put it inside my Pavilion 690-0073  as a addon not as a replacement for the original 256 gb SSD so I don't have to reload anything as I just want more storage and if so, where would I go to see step by step instructions? thanks.

HP Recommended

@JDWillis 

Because of the very limited data headers (connectors for storage devices) mentioned by BH, your situation is not an add-on but a replacement.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

For add-on storage follow what Banhien said.

There are 3 supported SATA headers.

The DVD drive uses one of the SATA headers. That leaves 2 open SATA headers.

There are 2 open spots in the case. 1 for a 2.5" SSD and 1 for a 3.5" HDD.

Add a Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5",  Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD, WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm or similar.

There is absolutely no need for you to remove your current 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD.

HP Recommended

the question is whether there is an extra m.2 slot to add a second m.2 drive - and if so does it use Sata or pci - much more elegant and potentially faster  than using the 2.5” drives you suggested 

HP Recommended

Thank you. I'll be looking for the best deals tomorrow on cyber Monday and get me one to boost my storage. My 256gb space is almost filled up now. I'm thinking about getting this one for  $83 free 3 day shipping                  https://www.newegg.com/intel-660p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167462?Item=N82E16820167462

HP Recommended

I have this exact computer and after reading this I added a Samsung 860 EVO SSD to my computer.  However now when I turn it on I just get a blue screen and the computer won't boot.  I assume for some reason the computer is defaulting to the new SSD but that doesn't make sense because it originally was booting Windows 10 from the drive the computer game with.  Anyone know what I should do?  thanks

HP Recommended

There was no 2nd slot for the new 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD I bought black friday to fit. I should of bought a 2.5 SSD . I may get a adapter for it in the future. Since I had extra 1 TB HDD on hand, I formatted it and used it instead. Next time i'll take a good look inside instead of reading specs,Thanks.

HP Recommended

Keefa, were you able to fix your non-boot issue after adding your Samsung 860 EVO SSD? If not you'll want to press F10 when you try to boot up. This should get you into the BIOS. Go to Storage settings in the BIOS. Under Windows Boot Manager(?) you want to make sure your original SSD (the one your system came with) is marked as the boot device.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.