Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion p6324uk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a  Pavilion p6324uk which has only one PCI slot which is already filled.  I would like to upgrade to use USB 3.0 in addition to the existing USB 2.0 ports, but to do this I need an expansion card.   Is it possible to fit a riser card in this PC to expand the PCI slots?  If so, any suggestions for inexpensive solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@donjohnson24 , welcome to the forum.

You actually have 3 PCIe x1 slots on the motherboard (See the section titled "Expansion Slots").  These can be used to install an adapter card, such as, this USB 3.0 card.  I am not familiar with the manufacturer in the link, but this will give you an idea of what to buy.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@donjohnson24 , welcome to the forum.

You actually have 3 PCIe x1 slots on the motherboard (See the section titled "Expansion Slots").  These can be used to install an adapter card, such as, this USB 3.0 card.  I am not familiar with the manufacturer in the link, but this will give you an idea of what to buy.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

HI, Thanks for the response pointing out that I have 3 PCI slots.  

After posting my question I looked more closely at the spec for the Pavilion and realised that there WERE some expansion slots - I had been looking for the older, and much larger, slots so did not recognise them.

I can only use the excuse that I am probably even older than you (80 in January) which may be why I have missed the opportunity to use these slots for the last 9 years!

I have ordered a USB 3.0 card, and was also considering a SATA 3 card as well - to increase the connection speed to the SSD I installed in place of the internal hard drive - but I gather that unless I get a top of the range version, the improvement may be minimal.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Donjohn24!  Thank you for the additional information.

You are correct!  You are a bit older than me.  I am 74 yoa.  However, I have been working with and building computers for 20+ years without stopping.  So, I have to keep up on technology.  I admire you, however, for not giving up on the situation.  This is the only way to learn about the new technology.  Keep up the good work.

You probably don't have to buy top of the line to get good performance.  Peripherals are fairly priced these days.  I suggest reading reviews that are marked verified owner on Newegg.com.  This is what I do; especially if I don't know the manufacturer.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.