Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23 all in one
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, I am looking for some help please.  My DVD drive isn't working - it went off along with my clock, so I have placed a new battery in (BIOS) and the clock now works fine.

The DVD drive doesn't show under my pc (it used to be down the left hand side) but does under devices and drives.  When I insert a disc and double click the DVD Drive it says please insert a disc into the drive.

If I just place a disc in the computer nothing happens at all.

I'm not too sure of my way around the computer but I have gone through some troubleshooting options - uninstalled and reinstalled the DVD drive, checked the BIOS (it is showing as being there).  Checked the boot options. 

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of what I could try next.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@SHIP23

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Clear the registry filters for Device Manager error codes 1019313239 or 41.

1. Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras.

2. In Windows, search for and open regedit.

3. Select Computer in the main window.

Image of Registry Editor

4. Click File, click Export, type a filename that is easy for you to remember, then click Save.

A copy of the registry has been saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.

5. Click the arrow next to each of the following items in the list:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

• SYSTEM

• CurrentControlSet

• Control

• Class

6. Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. Make sure you have selected this exact key name.

7. If a LowerFilters value is listed on the right side of the Registry Editor window, select the LowerFilters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

The Registry Editor with Lower Filters highlighted

8. If an UpperFilters value is also listed, select UpperFilters in the right side of the window and press the Delete key.

Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

9. Delete LowerFiltersall other UpperFilters and values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key if any exist.

10. Close the Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. The disc drive should now be recognized by Windows.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.