Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1235
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm working on upgrading the graphics my p7-1235 from the integrated graphics to a discreet card. I bought a Firepro w5100 and a 500W PSU. Starting up the machine, it doesn't seem to recognize the PCI-Express card, just integrated graphics as the display always defaults to the VGA/DVI port(s). I'm wondering if there's some settings I need to change in BIOS but haven't found any instructions that seem to work with what I have (v7.07). Now I've read some threads about the bios on these motherboards being too old for newer video cards, so I'm really hoping that's not the case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I went ahead and update the BIOS to UEFI 8.19 Rev 9 (found at http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=vc_134629_1#tab3 for my mobo) and SUCCESS! The p7-1235 isn't listed in the supported desktops, but it has the same mobo as the ones listed (2AE0 MS-7778) and even though it only lists Windows 8, it evidently works on Windows 7 & 10, too. After updating the bios, I shutdown and installed the w5100, and the system booted right up using the graphics card without needing to change any UEFI settings

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

While there are many video cards to choose from, there are problems concerning upgrading.  Since you are experiencing problems try disabling UFEI secure boot and enabling Legacy in the BIOS setup.  There might also be a setting in there to disable the onboard graphics but normally that is done automatically when the new video card is recognized.

HERE IS A PAGE that lists compatible GPU's for that motherboard. - I do not see the Firepro w5100 on the list.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
I saw the suggestion to disable secure boot and enable lagacy support in some other threads, but I can't find those in my BIOS. I'll look again; perhaps they are under different names or something?

Darn I didn't realize upgrading a graphics card had such compatibility restrictions.
HP Recommended

The newer technology has some disadvantages to the user.  Start tapping Esc as soon as you hit the physical start button. There should be a popup menu appear that will allow those changes, or use this tip -  HERE IS A GUIDE to give you some insight.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help so far

Following the instructions in that video I get here, but there's no option for UEFI like he has in the video.

If I use escape to get to open the popup menu, I get this

Should I select Run UEFI Application?

Otherwise if I choose f10 and go into BIOS, there is no option for UEFI securre boot under the security tab

HP Recommended

That being the case, then that PC must have not come with the UEFI BIOS.  Seeing that it had Windows 7 as the OS, it must have been one of the last before the new BIOS came out.  So, the legacy boot is not the problem.  However, the Firepro w5100 is not on the compatible GPU list, either.  It seems if that card choice is an absolute must, then a different solution would be either a Geforece on the approved list or a new motherboard that can accept that card.  Sometimes an OEM just will not bend to accommodate the user's desires.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

OK, darn. In my searching I've seen that some people claim to have managed to get graphics cards to work after experiencing the same problems as me by updating their bios.

For example, this person has the same motherboard as me.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Unable-to-boot-with-new-graphics...

So I might try that

HP Recommended

I see that.  I cannot give the go ahead on that BIOS update but it is up to you to try.  BTW: it says that is intended for Windows 8, so it may not run on Windows 10.  And it might also make that a UEFI BIOS.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I went ahead and update the BIOS to UEFI 8.19 Rev 9 (found at http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=vc_134629_1#tab3 for my mobo) and SUCCESS! The p7-1235 isn't listed in the supported desktops, but it has the same mobo as the ones listed (2AE0 MS-7778) and even though it only lists Windows 8, it evidently works on Windows 7 & 10, too. After updating the bios, I shutdown and installed the w5100, and the system booted right up using the graphics card without needing to change any UEFI settings

HP Recommended

Great! Glad to hear a success.  Good find on that other thread, too.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.