Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - TE01-1020
Microsoft Windows 11

I soon will be installing a RTX 4060 card into my HP TE01-1022 (has a PSU=400w). Aside from plugging in the 4+2 pin and placing the card into its correct slot, will I also have to mess with the BIOS or any other settings? I have a ASUS PorArt PA278QV and am a photo hobbyist.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

EDIT: Should have been 6+2 pin and not 4+2 pin.

HP Recommended

Hi @flycaster1 

Your PC's case can handle up to around a 9.5 inch, dual slot graphics card. The HP 400 watt power supply should be fine with a 4060. You can get a HP 500 watt power supply (part number L05757-800) at eBay if needed.

Nothing to do in the BIOS.

Download the latest Nvidia drivers for the 4060 at this Site.

I would then disconnect from the network. Uninstall the current graphics drivers.

Shut down the PC. Install the 4060.

Install the 4060 drivers. Reconnect to the network.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks, Bill, your response was very helpful. This is the first time that I am adding something to the PC; and, understandably, I'm being very cautious. As for disconnecting from the network (and reinstalling to network) and uninstalling the current graphics drivers, I would appreciate knowing how to do these operations? Very much do appreciate your supplying the link for the 4060 Nvidia driver. I assume that when filling in the particulars for the driver, that I choose SD (won't be playing games, but doing picture editing)?

Adam

EDIT: Just successfully DL'd the SD driver in preparation. However, now that it is in my download folder, how should it be applied?

HP Recommended

Hi @flycaster1 

My pleasure.

Disconnect the network Ethernet cable at the rear of the PC to disconnect from the network. Or you may have disable WIFI or shut down the Modem/Router if the PC is using a wireless connection.

Windows will install an older Nvidia driver after you install the 4060 if the PC is connected to the internet.

Your PC shipped with Intel graphics. So you would navigate to Control Panel, Programs and Features. Scroll down to Intel graphics. Double-click on the program. Select Uninstall.

The Nvidia Studio Driver is fine for content creation.

Now you are ready to install the new graphics card. Watch this YouTube video showing a 3070 install and 500 watt power supply install in a HP TG01 case. This video should give a general idea on how to do this. I would not modify the case to install a graphics card that does not fit in the case.

The TE01 and TG01 cases are similar, if not identical, except for the front bezel.

Again, I would not try a 3070 in your case. The card is too big for this case.

Double-click on the driver executable in the Downloads folder to start the Nvidia graphics driver installation.

Connect the PC to the network.

Regards

HP Recommended

Again, Bill, you have come to the rescue. I already have the Gigabyte RTX 4060 (my PSU=400w,) and now, most importantly, I have the road-map for the installation of the card. I have opened and cleaned the interior of my PC and have viewed the video. So, I believe that this "old fart" (85) should be ready for the install. Got to thank you and one of your "associates" (NonSequitur777) on this forum for all your excellent help. You guys certainly go out of your way to be so helpful...most well appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi @flycaster1 

My pleasure.

I'm 70 and catching up to you.

Kudos and many more years to come! I hope I still know my name if I reach 85.

Regards

HP Recommended

Sorry, but of course, another question...just making sure that I have everything right. After reading the installation instructions, I'm a little confused about the following:

Step #3 describes placing card into PCEI slot (understood.) Then says to connect the 8-pin (actually says "...corresponding external power cable") to the card's power slot (understood.)  But, what I don't understand is in step#5: "Connect the appropriate cable to the graphics card and the display."  I thought that once the card was hooked to the 8-pin, that was it for the installation.) But now I'm questioning if I have to run a cable from the monitor (an Asus ProArt 2I78QV) to the outside back of the PC where I will have two DPs (DP=Display Port?) and two HDMIs available from the card's installation? If a connection is needed, what cable is needed and which port to connect to? Or, is this not necessary as the PC will automatically mate the card to the monitor without having to change any existing monitor connections? 

HP Recommended

Hi @flycaster1 

My pleasure.

Yes, you would now connect the monitor using the current cable connected to the monitor to the corresponding port on the graphics card.

You are probably using HDMI now. Just connect the HDMI cable to either HDMI port on the graphics card.

That should be it.

Regards

HP Recommended

Well, I think this is it and time to do the install. Will be doing it tomorrow and will let you know the results. Many thanks, again.

Adam

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.